If you had a local bento supply store...

Seek, research, find & trade. The right place for commerce and promotional announcements.

Re: If you had a local bento supply store...

Postby brookelovesbento » Thu May 14, 2009 5:49 pm

I would LOVE it if you could SHIP INTERNATIONALLY - we are so lacking in places to shop in Australia, and online, we only have a very select few to choose from [and these are generally the most expensive of the lot] I don't mind paying bigger shipping costs[generally it's $40+ to get things shipped over here] but I'm so sick of paying upwards of $10 for the same boxes you guys get for $3-4. You guys are so lucky!
So please please please consider getting a website up to offer international shipping.
brookelovesbento

Postby Pangolin » Fri May 15, 2009 12:43 pm

I'm working on the website. I have a few pages up, but no store online yet. I'm hoping that will happen soon, but the way things go around here, it could take awhile. I'll definitely look into international shipping for those of you not in the US.

I'm keeping all these suggestions on a list, and I'm working through them. If I use all your suggestions I could have the most divrse bento store yet....
Once I get things around here flowing a bit better (I just found out I have to move out of the space my shop is in - so I'm looking for a new space... argh!) I'll get to the online shop and such.
Pangolin

• Website

Postby photogrl13 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:03 pm

I think that accessories are something that the stores I know of (Hana Gifts and Tensuke Market) are lacking. Having a variety of bentos is a great idea, but I think that the picks, baran, molds/cutters, and other accessories are where a lot of the fun in bento making is. I noticed neither of the other stores carry many accessories and that was dissappointing to me as I'm a beginner and that's what I need. As for buying from a local store...I like seeing what I'm getting. I'm very tactile and have to touch/open/manipulate what I buy. Buying from online just isn't the same. I also would rather the store pay shipping since they can buy in bulk and I don't want to buy bentos in bulk haha. It saves money for me in the long run. I also just like being in a store that is different and unique. Hana Gifts is a fun stop. :-)
photogrl13

Postby smoke » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:20 am

I've accepted that I'm going to have to "make do" unless I start shopping online, so this is a difficult puzzle for me.

I think that I'd want a store that carried a little of everything that's popular. Egg molds, hot dog cutters, tiny sauce bottles...

Boxes that range from the cheap into the fancy ones. Everything from semi-disposable plastic into stainless steel tiffens. I think I could get into buying non-design boxes and hand-etching the lids into sophisticated designs.

And since there's obviously a lack of interest in Japanese culture here, the store itself would have all sorts of other cooking-related stuff. Kinda like how there's one store here that sells both candy-making and beer-brewing supplies.

A bento store that sells cake-decorating supplies as well as "food pencils" might do a brisker business in cake bags if they're cheaper. I may be wrong, even many artists don't think about going to the hardware store for inspiration like I do.
smoke

Previous

Return to Marketplace