Where do you buy your bento gear from?

Seek, research, find & trade. The right place for commerce and promotional announcements.

Re: Where do you buy your bento gear from?

Postby djuna » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Breedasong -- I posted upthread about the joyous Seattle experience, but permit me to say -- I've never been to the Southcenter mall. Don't ask me why -- I'm out there for the Great Wall Mall -- but particularly pre-renovation, that mall looked unpromising to me.

I have, however, been to the Bellevue Square Mall, where the Sanrio store had thermoses but no Bento containers. Are there actual Bento containers at Southcenter?
djuna

Postby arkonitebabe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:21 am

Cherrychan wrote:Living here in the UK, it can be hard to find bento goods. The food is not so hard to track down, as we have several decent Asian supermarkets here and I like to make my own recipes, however... the physical bento boxes and other things such as egg moulds can be hard to track down.

Cherrychan

I just found this site:
http://www.artbox.co.uk/index.php

They have a few bento boxes (not many) but it is another source for boxes and bags if you are interested??
arkonitebabe

Postby jskidmoreca » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 am

veganf wrote:mwahahaha...I just sent my husband off on his business trip with a 2 page shopping cart list from Ichiban Kan to shop in El Cerrito. :twisted:

Ichibankan in El Cerrito is kind of small. If he can get into the one in San Francisco (very easy to get to and there is an underground parking garage right there - easy parking) there would be more variety
Jo
Novato, California
jskidmoreca

Postby breedasong » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:10 pm

I have, however, been to the Bellevue Square Mall, where the Sanrio store had thermoses but no Bento containers. Are there actual Bento containers at Southcenter?

most definately. They have them spread all over the store at the sanrio store. there were two with plaid kitty on them ( I have the sandwich sized on with spoon and fork on top), there were the nesting ones (kinda like the ones Biggie uses for bug that have thomas the train on them) with strawberry kitty and other characters, and they had tupperware type ones with little twin stars and other characters.

The character corner had more traditional type ones with layers and belts. they were all hello kitty but they had green and blue along with the standard pink. the store literaly is a corner (very tiny) look for a crud load of stuffed animals at the front, the boxes are to the back on the right ( if she hasn't moved them).

Breedasong

p.s. southcenter is a zoo now that they reinovated, park near j.c. penny's both stores are closer to that end of the mall.
breedasong

Postby eilismaura » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 pm

veganf wrote:
slysimpson wrote:really you only need one, right? :)

No way! I need one per family member, per day, and double that to account for dishwashing/lost-in-car/left-at-school, and a few extra in case they get misplaced...so at least a dozen...so I guess I don't need any more! Wait, no that can't be right! ;)

I have way too many boxes - but I will be whittling things down as I use them more and find what I really like and works well. I also like being able to give some of them away as gifts. I started two family members and a neighbor of one of them on doing bentos for either themselves of their kids.
eilismaura

Postby strangeseraph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:24 am

I bought the first bento box form Jbox, which I know is expensive but I couldn't find that particular bento box anywhere else (now its quite easy to find, much to my annoyance.)

The other bento I bought also from Jbox, and it also is hard to find. The Mamegoma tight lid bento, and matching bag. :) I have a feeling I'll be getting other supplies from ebay.
~*~*~*~ [~Jenny~] ~*~*~*~
strangeseraph

• Website
  • YIM

Postby arkonitebabe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:13 pm

I found another albeit small source for UK bento fiends:
http://www.tokyojazzpanda.co.uk/

HTH
arkonitebabe

Postby Niashi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:42 pm

In my entire time in the Seattle area, I never really liked the Southgate mall so I don't go there. I like going to Uwajimaya (where I got my current Hakoya bento boxes and some other items). They're a bit expensive, but definitely cute. I live much more north, in the Shoreline area. Around the corner from me is Thriftway, they have a tools section that I grab stuff from sometimes. Also, I go to my local indian shop since I do primarily cook Indian.

I need to make another visit to Uwajimaya's for their Rogue japanese beer for the man at home though. How will I resist all those toys? >< I need to see if they have bento bags. I make bentos for myself and usually a random co worker, but my current bento boxes don't have a special lock for my chopsticks and sometimes I pack a little something extra on the side (cookies, cinnamon rolls) off to the side to go with it, outside of the bento box. Would make it easier. Plus, my 3rd bento box has nostrap =.( (Noo I don't take 2 bento boxes for myself.. sometimes I have a lot of extras, so I'll load up the 3rd bento and tell people to take what they want.)
Niashi

Postby Geordieness » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm

I live in Sydney, Australia and have only just caught on to bento-making. I got my bento box from Japan as a gift from a family I stayed with and since then I've been grabbing as many recipes as I can handle to have in my bento for school.

My only problem is that I find it really hard to find the onigiri moulds, dividers, e.t.c and I find that many of the websites selling bento-related gear only ship to the U.S. (Ichibankan!! Why?!) Anyone have suggestions as to websites, Sydney stores, e.t.c that I can get bento gear from? That isn't horrendously priced, like J-Box/J-List?

(Ma~an, I should've spent more time in Hyaku-en shops in Japan looking for bento stuff...)
Geordieness

PreviousNext

Return to Marketplace