How to make eyes stick to food?

Decorative food art bentos, including kyaraben and decoben

How to make eyes stick to food?

Postby killerkitty » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:16 am

I had a free minute (while making my speediest bento yet... well!) so I tried to make octodogs with faces, like in this e-obento.com picture: http://www.e-obento.com/obento-photo/2007-obento/200702-LL/20070219-yozakura_0953web.jpg

I've made eyes out of cheese and took sesame as eyeballs. However the cheese didn't stick to the wiener and the sesame didn't stick to the cheese... I realise that I should have taken nori for the eyes (didn't have any) because it sticks to anything, but what about the cheese? Or are these eyes not made of cheese but of something different?

Making the eyes stick was so frustrating that I gave up on giving them mouthes and other funny things altogether... Why bother if it's going to fall off any second... This is what mine looked like: http://www.killerkitty.org/images/115.jpg See the difference?
killerkitty

Re: How to make eyes stick to food?

Postby veganf » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:04 am

For heavier/slippery items like that I have to resort to creme cheese (or buttercreme frosting, LOL). Otherwise I usually use agave nectar or brown rice syrup.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

• Website

Postby Biggie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Try also sticky condiments like honey, mayo, etc.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby PikaMama » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:40 am

I've heard of some people using pieces of dry spagetti to attach eyes and things as well. I wouldn't do that for a small child who is eating the bento but I know of some who use that method with older kiddos and it apparently works well :)
PikaMama

• Website

Postby killerkitty » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:37 am

Thank you for your tips! I don't think I'd use sweet things like syrups and honey on salty food, but I'll give the cream cheese a try! The spaghetti sound like a good tip, too, since no kids are eating bento here, except grown-up ones!

Wouldn't may go bad after sitting in a box at room temperature for a day?

By the way, with my octodogs I ended up carving little holes into the wiener for the eyes to fit in... And wieners are absolutely not made for carving, alas.
killerkitty

Postby QChan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:30 pm

PikaMama wrote:I've heard of some people using pieces of dry spagetti to attach eyes and things as well. I wouldn't do that for a small child who is eating the bento but I know of some who use that method with older kiddos and it apparently works well :)

The dry spaghetti usually turns into wet spaghetti by the time you eat so you don't have to worry about it stabbing you or anything(I'm not sure if that's why you wouldn't do that with kids)
QChan

Postby PikaMama » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm

QChan wrote:
PikaMama wrote:I've heard of some people using pieces of dry spagetti to attach eyes and things as well. I wouldn't do that for a small child who is eating the bento but I know of some who use that method with older kiddos and it apparently works well :)

The dry spaghetti usually turns into wet spaghetti by the time you eat so you don't have to worry about it stabbing you or anything(I'm not sure if that's why you wouldn't do that with kids)

Ah thank you! Yes that would have been the concern with packing it in a younger childs bento. Anything hard and unexpected= stabbing and choking.

I am glad to know that it would not be a concern :D
PikaMama

• Website

Postby Biggie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:49 pm

I know that some preschools forbid toothpicks or other pointy, stabbing things in the kids' lunches for safety sake, which is why people turned to pieces of dry spaghetti. If you need something more durable for an adult's lunch, try linguine or fettucine -- the thicker noodles, as they stay firm longer. Likewise, spaghettini or angel hair pasta gets soft faster...
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby QChan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm

PikaMama wrote:Ah thank you! Yes that would have been the concern with packing it in a younger childs bento. Anything hard and unexpected= stabbing and choking.

I am glad to know that it would not be a concern :D

Well I'm glad you can use spaghetti without worrying now : D
QChan

Return to Deco Ben Corner