How do you plan your kyaraben design?

Decorative food art bentos, including kyaraben and decoben

How do you plan your kyaraben design?

Postby Biggie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 am

Okay, kyaraben and oekakiben food art bentos are usually beyond me, but when I do make one for a special occasion (like the Children's Day bento below) I tend to find a photo in a Japanese bento cookbook to duplicate, plan it and shop ahead of time, and make it in the morning so everything's fresh.

If you make these decorative edible works of art, how do you plan them out? Do you sketch a design beforehand, shop, and then make it in the morning? Have you figured out a way to simplify the planning process or the prep itself? Or are you great at improvising with what you have on hand without a plan? Let us know!
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Re: How do you plan your kyaraben design?

Postby veganf » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:27 am

I plan themed bentos a month in advance usually, based on a holiday, or a few days before via requests from my 6yo. I often sketch the character or scene in a little rectangle, then write next to it foods that might work to create it. When I'm making my weekly shopping list I just grab that paper and add whatever I need to the list. Often it changes as I create the bento, figuring out what works best, but if it's something complex I'll make components the night before, ie. cutting Pikachu's head out of yellow bell pepper, etc. and stash it in an airtight container inn the fridge til morning because I prefer to assemble bentos fresh in the morning.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

• Website

Postby MyBentoDiet » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Wow that's a lot of thought and planning! I don't do kyaraben bentos very often but when I do, I just make it up as I go! Which is probably why mine don't turn out very well and they take me forever! :lol:
Bento fanatic in Wisconsin
MyBentoDiet

Postby PikaMama » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:41 am

I don't do much planning and I definately don't shop specifically with design in mind. I use whatever I have on hand. For the most part I draw on cheese with my food markers because it is fast and easy. I sketch the design first and then draw it on the cheese. Quick and easy!
PikaMama

• Website

Postby JBDoodles » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Once I choose a character, I do a google image search until I find one that is easily recreated with food. Then I decide on the foods taking into account what I have, but sometimes stopping at a store to pick a few things up. I do a sketch (or just print out the image) to the size I want and lay wax paper over the sketch to build the character on. This is especially helpful when I'm doing a flat character with cheese or deli slices. I find that putting the character (on the wax paper) in the freezer for a few minutes makes placing it in the box easier. It sticks together, especially if you are working with cheese.

It can be a lot of work, but planning helps.
JBDoodles

• Website

Return to Deco Ben Corner