Daiso wholesale

Seek, research, find & trade. The right place for commerce and promotional announcements.
Post a reply

Daiso wholesale

Postby monki » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:05 pm

Does anyone here know how Daiso's wholesale prices compare to their retail prices? I'm having bento shopping withdrawals, but I can't bring myself to pay ebay prices. I mean, really. Five bucks for a set of egg molds I got for a buck twenty-five at Ichibankan? I have three sets still in their package I could sell for enough to buy another box. But I can't bring myself to rip people off quite like that.

But. Maybe if I could get wholesale pricing from Daiso, I'd be able to sell a bit cheaper than your average ebay salesperson? I'm just wondering if it would be worth getting a tax id number. It would also open the door to buying wholesale from places other than Daiso. Although I'm not sure what those places may be.

I'm quite sad that Ichibankan didn't get their wholesale program off the ground before they closed...
http://www.scrumptiousbento.blogspot.com
monki

Re: Daiso wholesale

Postby Pangolin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:43 pm

There are a couple things here to consider:

1. The wholesale prices at Daiso are better than their retail prices. However, they do ask for a Tax ID number on the paperwork for the Wholesale Program. Also, you have to figure out what to do with the extra boxes - many of the boxes and bento items in the wholesale program come in sets of 5 or 10, and if you only want one box, that's a lot of boxes to keep around or try to unload on ebay.

2. The sellers on ebay have a reason that they pick the prices they do - that's what people will pay for the boxes, and no one wants to sell anything without getting a little profit in return. (And places like ebay do take a percentage for using their site to sell things, as well as whatever your credit card processor charges for each transaction (including paypal) which usually includes a set charge for the transaction and a percentage of the amount the transaction was for.) And don't forget that you have to price the boxes so that you account for the shipping you paid as well.

3. Getting a Tax Id and setting up a business isn't all that hard. However, at that point, if you are selling things you need to have a vendor's license and those things make you a business - for which you have to file and pay sales taxes and you have to file and pay business taxes at the end of year. Once you have the paperwork filed, you have to treat it as a business.

4. Other places will sell wholesale to you if you have your business paperwork filed, but they often ask for business references, bank references (Daiso does too), and many have opening order minimums of $300 or $500 for your first order so they know you are serious.

If it's something you really want to pursue, go be a business - but if you are happy without the hassle and paying a little more in shipping, don't waste your time.

(If you have other questions about doing this, feel free to PM me and I can tell you about all the other pitfalls of owning your own (even small) business!)
Pangolin

• Website

Post a reply

Return to Marketplace