If you could design your own bento....

Seek, research, find & trade. The right place for commerce and promotional announcements.

If you could design your own bento....

Postby Pangolin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 am

If you could design your own bento box, what size/features would you want?

In searching for bento boxes for my store, I happened upon a unique opportunity, and I thought maybe all of you would like to provide some input. A company in Japan who manufactures bento boxes is getting prepared to open a distributor here in the states. They are looking at offering their original boxes, designed in Japan, as well as creating some new sizes and depths for boxes just for the U.S. market. So, they asked me if I had any ideas, and I thought to myself, "the LIAB Forum is the place to get a bunch of opinions!".... so here I am, asking you. In general, the boxes made by this manufacturer have "tight" lids, which is why I'm so excited about this opportunity. They already have the lids figured out!'

So, any ideas on depth? Sizes/dimensions? Layers? Dividers? Shapes?

They are considering a size that better fits a sandwich, and possibly a deeper design for salads.

Let me hear those wants and ideas! I'll pass them along. I have maybe a week or two to get back to them (they are really just beginning the design phase) with anything anyone comes up with.
Pangolin

• Website

Re: If you could design your own bento....

Postby Caldercup » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:11 pm

"They are considering a size that better fits a sandwich, and possibly a deeper design for salads."

I like both of those ideas! I'd also like some divided boxes or ones with removable containers -- that are also larger than the ones for the "smaller appetite" market.

A few more manly bentos boxes -- maybe with a skateboarder theme, something more appropriate for a middle school boy.
Eileen
Cooking for a Type 1 diabetic, gluten-free, teenage boy.
Thank goodness he thinks bento is fun!

See my ramblings at: http://www.thesublurbs.com
Caldercup

Postby Megs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Maybe made of dishwasher safe materials? That would be so nice and save a lot of time.
A bento to fit a full sandwich and other sides would be great! So does the idea of removable containers.
I also really second the "manly" bento idea. I have the hardest time finding bento boxes big enough for my husband, and he's not a huge fan of having to carry side dishes as well as his bento box. I usually end up falling back on a Rubbermaid or end up ordering one that is just way too expensive. He doesn't gain weight very easily and is often catagorized as underweight so I'm normally looking for a box that is 1000-1500ml capacity.
Making bentos for hubby since May 2008!
Flickr Page = http://www.flickr.com/photos/megswallace/
Personal Blog = http://www.megswallace.blogspot.com/
deviantArt = http://lostfallen-angel.deviantart.com/
Megs

Postby Dragonflyknits » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:22 pm

You covered my needs when you said "tight" lids! Even the ones that say they are tight sealing are, well, not. And definitely dishwasher and microwave safe....
Judy in SC
Dragonflyknits

Postby StarsOfCASSiOPEiA » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:46 pm

I definitely second the microwave and dishwasher safe bentos. They'd be something both Mum and I would LOVE!

I'd personally like something with slight indents or slits on the side, so that you could arrange accompanying dividers (that'd come with the bento) as you wished. They'd be tighet fitting than ones you'd just place inside too.
StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Postby Kiana » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:30 am

Good job on your new site pangolin! It looks good so far! and like i said before how exciting!

As for the bento box, being dishwasher/microwavable thats perfect. Maybe some really nice designs for boys/girls with not to many pieces(for the younger kids not to lose) or a bento box that has a lid that doesnt come off completely, a spot to write there names where it wont come off (like a credit card has on the back for signatures) um... i like the 2 tier bentos. As for shape nothing with 90 degree angles...lol :lol: i hate cleaning in the corners and plus its kinda hard. maybe they can come with matching everything: like furoshiki, and/or bag, chopsticks, spoon/fork, dividers...etc.

A deeper one for salads sounds great! for designs some kawaii, the sakura flower thing is very cute. and thats about all i can think of for now!

Again Congrats on your store!
Making bentos and lovin it!
Kiana

Postby sanriofreak » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Something to accomodate sandwiches would be great.
DW safe.
MW safe.
Gender neutral (I have all boys and get annoyed that there are a lot more girly looking bento boxes than boy stuff).
Stuff that comes with accessories, for example, I can buy smaller containers that will fit inside the bento box, plus matching eating utensils, lids, etc.
TIGHT lids.
Something that could accomodate a small ice pack w/o touching the food would be nice too.
Something durable, I'm worried that some of my bento box latches won't last very long...
sanriofreak

Postby eventamy » Fri May 01, 2009 6:01 am

Great idea!
I want more bentos for my DH and myself, especially for him. So something "manly". His favorite box right now is a Lock & lock style I got at Target. It's big enough for a sandwich and sides, is DW and MW safe so I can put cold items or reheatable items. Just very versatile!
eventamy

Postby Texasmomof4 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:00 pm

Zebra print!!!!!!!! He He!
Mom of 4! DS 11, DS 9, DD 6, and DD 4.
http://texasmomof4.blogspot.com/
Visit me on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/30607953@N05/
Texasmomof4

• Website

Return to Marketplace