Bento in Chinatown, NYC?

Seek, research, find & trade. The right place for commerce and promotional announcements.

Bento in Chinatown, NYC?

Postby jerseygeekgirl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:21 am

Headed to New York on the 18th to see the Fantasticks! I'm SO EXCITED! Now, I got a few things from Chinatown the last time I was there and I have been assured we're making another stop, as the people I am going with are hellbent on eating lunch there. I liked the Japanese Home Store I visited well and good, but the bento there wasn't in a big variety.

Anyone found bento stuff in NYC and have good things to say? I am using the BSL, but I would much like to hear other comments on places they've found a bento motherlode in... ^.~ Thanks!
jerseygeekgirl

Re: Bento in Chinatown, NYC?

Postby Pangolin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:22 pm

I don't have specifics for you, I wish I did. :( However, you might look at ExploreChinaTown.org. They have a list of many of the shops there with a short review of each. If nothing else you can use the list to search to see if the shops have websites - some do, others don't. The website mentions Pearl River which has the melamine tiffins from Vivo, and they picture several other "bento" type containers on their actual site (you can also just shop on Pearl River's website!)
Pangolin

• Website

Postby StarsOfCASSiOPEiA » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks, Pangolin!

Other than in Chinatown, are there any good places to get bento-related things in NYC? (I won a contest so I'm going with a group of Girl Scouts. We have a free day to go shopping...)

Thank you very much!
StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Postby Thoreau » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:29 pm

There's a Sanrio store near oh gosh... I'm pretty sure it's time square.
Thoreau

Postby Folly » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:07 pm

There is a Muji several blocks from Canal Street, the main tourist shopping street in Chinatown. It's at 455 Broadway. I've been there, but can't remember if they had the Muji bento boxes or not. If they do, they will be expensive. Just a few doors away is Pearl River. If they have the bamboo boxes, they would make great sandwich bento boxes. And very affordable ($2.50 on the website). Also nearby is Sunrise Mart, 494 Broome Street . It's a Japanese convenience store, with food and housewares.
Folly

Return to Marketplace