Where do you buy your bento gear from?

Seek, research, find & trade. The right place for commerce and promotional announcements.

Re: Where do you buy your bento gear from?

Postby alice_in_horrorland » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:16 am

In Düsseldorf (a town about an hour away from my hometown) exists a large Japanese community, so there are a lot of stores, that sell Asian food, kitchen supplies and also a few bento boxes, mostly character related. I also bought one on ebay or look in stores that sell lunch boxes or cheap stuff.
alice_in_horrorland

• Website

Postby furina1975 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:12 pm

I got some of my stuff online from both ichiban kan and another site that I'm not sure if people know about called http://www.sugarcharms.com. , which is down for maintenance until Monday. I also have family and friends in the Bay Area, so last time I was there we went to Daiso and ichiban kan so I could do major stockpiling. It was fun.
furina1975

Postby moodswingingmommy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 pm

anadandy wrote:When I have another reason for making a trip to Boston, I usually go to the KanMan Marketplace in Quincy, MA. Otherwise, I've been lucky enough to find Lock & Lock boxes in my local Target and similar style lunch containers in my local "odd lot" store.

Hey neighbor! I get some of my gear from the Kan Man Marketplace in Quincy as well. The Super 88's in Boston have some as well.

Other that that, Ichiban Kan's website is the best I've found.
moodswingingmommy

Postby jerseygeekgirl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:14 pm

I actually found my really nice bento supplies at a little Japanese home goods store in Chinatown, NYC. I was shocked to find it. Otherwise, everything comes from what I can grab at the nearest Asian grocer (about twenty or thirty minutes away) or find little useful things at the local supermarket. I haven't tried to order anything online yet, but now I feel confident hearing good things about sites I've been eyeballing for a few months.
jerseygeekgirl

Postby MommaSith » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Obento Lunch 4 Kidz is another great online seller. She's very sweet, the prices are better than most, she ships quickly... very nice experience, both times I've ordered from her. She doesn't have the largest selection, but what she has is adorable!
MommaSith

Postby Fallstar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:37 pm

I started out by using some basic lock & lock containers. After finding Lunch In A Box, and getting more interested in bentos, I took full advantage of my last trip to Hawaii. Shirokiya at the Ala Moana Shopping Center has a LOT of great bento gear, so I bought a few items there...well enough that I had to pack and mail a box to myself. :lol: Another place that I found some nice bento gear was at Uwajimaya, a large asian grocery/houseware store in Beaverton, Oregon (about 4 hours drive). They have another store in Bellevue, Washington, and their flagship largest store is in Seattle. Everytime I go to any of their stores, I feel like a kid in a candy store! hehe!
Fallstar

Postby monki » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 am

I buy mine all at ichibankan. I know I've spent more than $100 there in the past few months... And I find little bento stuff all over. All-a-dollar, for instance, has some great plastic picks with hearts on them. And those plastic fruits that come full of powder candy are the perfect size for salad dressing.

As for Paypal... The last time I made a purchase at ichibankan, I used it. I was much to tired (i.e. lazy) to get up and find my wallet. There is an option on paypal to create a secure one time use credit card number. Once it's created, you use it on the site. It pulls the money straight from your paypal account. Couldn't be easier...
http://www.scrumptiousbento.blogspot.com
monki

Postby Monique D. » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:20 am

I have ordered several items from ebay sellers in Japan and have always had a great experience with them. You'll need to shop around to make sure you're getting the "best" price and if you are looking for more than one thing, you can save a little money on shipping by buying from the same seller and getting it shipped at the same time. The cost of shipping is what causes me to pause and decide if I really need/want the item.

I find J-list/J-Box's prices to be a little steep. They offer many of the same items as Ichiban Kan, but they are usually a couple of dollars higher. And their shipping is prety high, too.

My advice is shop around, and have fun doing it!
Monique D.

Postby Beanbean » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 am

I have to second (or third?) Ichiban Kan! I have purchased many :shock: boxes from them. They are very inexpensive and the price is perfect! The customer service is excellent and the shipping is reasonable as well. I'm not sure if they ship overseas but if you are in Nebraska or anywhere else in the US, you should check them out.

I also had the opportunity to visit a Daiso store in Vancouver, British Columbia about 18 months ago and that was HEAVEN!! Too much fun.

I am fortunate to live in a metro area with a rather large Asian population but it is really primarily Korean and Vietnamese. EXCELLENT bi bim bap and pho but not much bento though, occasionally, I score a cute box or onigiri mold. The large Korean market that is a few suburbs to the east carries Lock and Lock stuff and occasionally they have the really cool lunch kits that Biggie uses a lot. Those sell out pretty quickly though.
Beanbean

Postby scraggyheed » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 am

Disappointed! :( Ichiban Kan don't mail overseas. There's some marvellous stuff on there too! Could see about buying through a third party, I suppose. Something to consider.
scraggyheed

PreviousNext

Return to Marketplace