Can I Freeze Grapefruit Segments?

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Can I Freeze Grapefruit Segments?

Postby RyeBlossom » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Can I freeze grapefruit segments without adding any liquid to it? (For eating as is, not in a smoothie and such)
Thanks!
RyeBlossom

Re: Can I Freeze Grapefruit Segments?

Postby Biggie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:48 pm

My big Japanese book on freezing says you can, and recommends further peeling the segments then freezing flat on a metal tray (IQF: Individual Quick Freeze). Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. I haven't tried this myself, but that's the word.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Postby RyeBlossom » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 pm

RyeBlossom

Postby varenikje » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Are you going to make something with these grapefruit segments, or eat them by themselves? I love grapefruit, so either way, it sounds good to me, but if you have a recipe for something that uses grapefruit, that would be interesting!
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child

varenikje

Postby RyeBlossom » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Yeah... I know..... I don't have a recipe really. I did make today a salad with sliced apples, grapefruit, some chopped walnuts (that I soaked in water for 2-3 hours first, just to get them softer), and a poppy seed dressing (mayo, brown sugar, some rice vinegar, a bit of water, and some poppy seeds).
It was pretty good, in my opinion. I didn't find much more interesting for grapefruit, other than a salad with avocado, and lettuce.
There's of course a sort of preserves that I might make, though the canning process is kind of intimidating me.
I'm still looking for a cake of some type with grapefruit, or chicken or something like that.

BTW- I've found a better way to cut it into segments. Cut the peel off the top and bottom, and the sides, so the fruit is exposed. Then, open it in half or quarters, and cut off the middle stem part, so the segments separate. Now you can easily separate the grapefruit segments from the white membrane in between. You'll have much nicer segments, with less frustration, than the way I've seen chefs do it (cutting the segments with a knife from the outside, you know what I mean?). It's also safer and less messy than holding a juicy grapefruit in one hand and using a knife with the other...
I don't have pics on my website for this, but if anyone is interested, I'll put them on and post a link.
RyeBlossom

Postby varenikje » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:33 pm

The salad with avocado and lettuce and grapefruit sounds wonderful!

If you are thinking of canning grapefruit, it would be easy to do because grapefruit is a high acid food, so you would only have to boiling-water-bath it and not pressure can. According to my Ball Blue Book, it gets packed in light syrup (2 c sugar with one quart water, boiled to make a syrup) and processed in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes (pints or quarts).
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child

varenikje

Postby RyeBlossom » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:14 am

Thanks! :)
RyeBlossom

Postby RyeBlossom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:17 am

Update: the grapefruit segments kept their shape and color nicely. However, they were bitter for some odd reason. I sprinkled sugar on top, and my son ate them all :)
Thanks!
RyeBlossom

Postby Pangolin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks for the update!

Pangolin

• Website

Postby varenikje » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 pm

I wonder why the grapefruit was bitter? Sounds like the sugar did the trick (doesn't it always? ;) ).
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child

varenikje

Return to Tips