Saving money on food bills

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Re: Saving money on food bills

Postby Laural » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:38 am

We've become avid menu writers, thank you Sandi Richard (not affiliated just an avid fan of her books) and Biggie. We stick to our grocery lists like glue as well. We've learned what we need in bulk and where to buy it. Such as rice, we use jasmine rice the most and can get a 25lb bag of great rice at the almost local oriental market for $15 or spend over $40 on smaller packages to equal the same amount of poundage.
~ Mom to Mr. T, 6 ~

Laural

Postby Rabbit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:15 pm

Right now I'm fortunate enough to have a garden, but even when I'm living in a small space I try to grow my own herbs on the windowsill. You can dry or freeze to have tasty basil and mint all year round.
Stephanie

life & travel blog: http://whereintheworld-stephanie.blogspot.com/

gluten-free blog: http://stephaniefood.blogspot.com/

Rabbit

• Website

Postby Pangolin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 pm

My husband and I always pack our lunches, and 99% of the time they are from leftovers of the dinner the night before. We eat a lot of white rice (my husband probably wishes there was less) which comes out cheap but adds bulk to a meal. We don't have a lot of space in our apartment, but we do stock up on some things when they are cheap.

Although I have an enormous sweet tooth, we've cut back to the occasional bag of m&m's or skittles when they are on sale. I will admit that we do drink pop (hubby drinks iced tea as well) and I refuse to give up pop since I can't drink plain water.

I'm attempting to be more conscious of using coupons, which means a concerted effort to remember to take them to the store with me. We've cut back our grocery shopping to once a week and only off a list which is made after we plan out our dinners (which means lunches too).

If we had more space to store stuff I would probably stock up on some things more. I need to find baskets for my chest freezer so I can keep things more organized - and so I don't fall in trying to get to things in the bottom!

Pangolin

• Website

Postby killerkitty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Pangolin wrote:I will admit that we do drink pop (hubby drinks iced tea as well) and I refuse to give up pop since I can't drink plain water.

Why can't you drink water? Because of the taste? You can always add a solluble vitamine tablet to it (there are brands that taste really good), or some juice... Pop is probably one of the worst things you can do to your body, the sugary kind destroys just about everything + makes you fat and the no-sugar light stuff is addictive (I've stopped cold turkey after two years of coke light, the aspartam withdrawal syndroms are massive!) + still makes you fat.

killerkitty

Postby Pangolin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:24 am

killerkitty wrote:
Pangolin wrote:I will admit that we do drink pop (hubby drinks iced tea as well) and I refuse to give up pop since I can't drink plain water.

Why can't you drink water? Because of the taste? You can always add a solluble vitamine tablet to it (there are brands that taste really good), or some juice... Pop is probably one of the worst things you can do to your body, the sugary kind destroys just about everything + makes you fat and the no-sugar light stuff is addictive (I've stopped cold turkey after two years of coke light, the aspartam withdrawal syndroms are massive!) + still makes you fat.

I sort of explained in another post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125&start=20 ,
But it really comes down to it making me sick. The only way it goes down is with sugar in it (like kool-aid) and at that point I might as well drink something I like, which is Coke.
No one should drink the diet or sugar-free pop - it IS bad for you - the aspartame can do all kinds of nasty things, and the phosphorous content in it interacts with your absorption of calcium.
Besides, Coke is tasty, and we're all entitled to enjoy something we like without constantly panicking about everything we put in our mouths!
I don't exactly worry about getting fat off of the pop, which isn't a problem for me anyway. I eat all the time (because I'm hungry all the time), and if that isn't making me fat, I'm not too worried about the pop!

Besides, we're all entitled to have something we like or enjoy without constantly panicking about everything we put in our mouths!

Pangolin

• Website

Postby arkonitebabe » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Biggie wrote:How do you cut your food bills, besides packing lunch instead of eating out? In my post How to Cut Your Food Bills, I detailed ideas for the general methods below. What's your system for cost cutting?

SAVE MONEY AT THE STORE
1. Choose your stores wisely
2. Shop smart
3. Use coupons
4. Buy in bulk

SAVE MONEY AT HOME
5. Use a food inventory system
6. Get organized
7. Plan out your menus
8. Recycle things in the home for kitchen use
9. Reduce energy consumption in the kitchen

WHEN TRAVELING OR DINING OUT
10. Pack a lunch instead of eating at a restaurant or cafeteria
11. Bring your restaurant leftovers home
12. Pack a lunch to eat on the airplane/train

I belong to another forum which you might all find interesting. We have a section specifically devoted to being "old Style" and thrifty and not just when it comes to food either!
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=33

Hope this is of interest to some of you!

arkonitebabe

Postby Corgi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm

I have an odd sort of problem that hasn't been brought up - I'm the only human in the house, so a lot of coupons I see or get don't do me much good, or for fresh items, they'll spoil before they're eaten. There's only so much room in my freezer, and half of it (when it hasn't turned into Tom and Jerry's Mice Capades like it is right now!) is filled with frozen edamame (much cheaper at the PK Mart). My meals are at the whim of 'I don't feel like fussing'.
Corgi

Corgi

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:28 pm

My husband(who is the only one in our family who doesn't have dietary restrictions)swaps with a single co-worker so that they can each get more variety. They purchase things in bulk at Costco and swap or split the cost of 1/2 a pack of croissants for rosemary bread, provolone cheese for mozarella or split on other items and each pay 1/2. It saves us because at the very least, it motivated my husband to take food rather than buy it out.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby killerkitty » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:36 am

Same here, I swap food all the time - sometimes I even ask random same-aged people in the supermarket if they want to shop together and divide... I live in poor-student-district, so usually it works out great!

killerkitty

Postby honnoria » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 am

Since my sister and I are both Gluten free we have started cooking for each other. I work a shift work schdule and she teaches. This means most of the time we are not working the same days. We cook on our days off and then share with the other person. We get more varity this way plus we're saving money vs. eating out. We make mostly things that will freeze well. Do a little cooking portion it out and freeze some. Then when we don't have time we're still covered. We've been doing things like... beans and greens, chili, egg cups, lentils, meat loaf, salads (OK not good frozen), jello, I just made ginger garlic green beans she said I could do again for her. LOL. That means she REALLY likes them. What I need to do now is invest in more containers from Ichiban Kan that are the 300ml to 500ml size so I have enough to cycle thought the system.
honnoria

PreviousNext

Return to Tips