How do you organize your bento goodies?

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Re: How do you organize your bento goodies?

Postby PikaMama » Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Okay I am extremely jealous of those giant storage bins!! *drools* I wish I had somewhere to put them!

I have all of my bento things on a giant bookshelf in the back of the kitchen. The area is small and narrow but works for a bookshelf. I will try to get a picture of it sometime soon

PikaMama

• Website

Postby Corgi » Fri May 22, 2009 3:46 pm

I have a pair of fabric storage bins from the Container Store - the little things, like bottles and such go in the small 'box', and everything goes inside the bigger box.

Or... at least, that's how it's supposed to work.
Corgi

Corgi

Postby Biggie » Mon May 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Wow, amazing bento towers, bentolunches! Very organized and inspiring.

Maybe folks have already seen them, but I've got a number of posts on organizing bento gear on Lunch in a Box.

* Round-up: Lunch gear organization event with reader solutions
* Using IKEA organizers to rein in bento accessories
* Kitchen bookcase holds bento gear

I also did a full kitchen reorganization, including the spice cabinets, the main pantry, the refrigerator and freezer, and the remaining cabinets and prep area.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Postby NoelFigart » Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 am

I have put a moratorium on buying more stuff for myself.

All my onigiri molds, etc, fit in a single 6 qt container. That goes in a cabinet.

I have nine two tier boxes, and this is how I store them:

I take all the stuff that goes with the box...

Then I put the smaller container in the larger, fold the furoshiki (in this case, simply a bandanna), put it in the smaller container with the belt on top, and put the chopsticks in the lid section (and I would be eternally grateful if someone could point out where I could find some plain, short chopsticks that would fit in these lids! Just white would do!).

Then I close it up. These stack just fine in a cabinet with no trouble. When I make a bento, I just take one out and everything I need is right there!
For bento stuff http://noelfigart.com/blog/category/bento/
NoelFigart

• Website
  • YIM

Postby eventamy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:03 am

I'm not as organized as I'd like to be. I'm planning on remodeling my kitchen next year so I actually have some storage! At this point my boxes are overflowing from a large "organizing" box I bought at Target.
My small things: picks, soy sauce containers, etc all go into an empty butt-wipe container for easy access!
eventamy

Postby MommaSith » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:03 am

We organized our whole pantry this weekend, including re-configuring the ventilated shelving so that my cabinet o' bento stuff fits better :D
:D :D :D :D

MommaSith

Postby cajcaj » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Some of you guys have serious stashes of cool stuff. It's inspiring! I'm fairly new to the whole Bento-ing thing (2-3 months?) but already I've outgrown my first and second storage boxes. So thanks for posting some solution ideas. It looks like I'm well on the way to having to get one of those drawer units . . .
cajcaj

Postby NoelFigart » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:57 pm

cajcaj wrote:Some of you guys have serious stashes of cool stuff. It's inspiring! I'm fairly new to the whole Bento-ing thing (2-3 months?) but already I've outgrown my first and second storage boxes. So thanks for posting some solution ideas. It looks like I'm well on the way to having to get one of those drawer units . . .

You don't have to, you know. I own about nine bento boxes and a big container full of onigiri molds, cutters and the like. But aside from the boxes, what I'm most likely to use is a sharp knife!

That's not to say that if you collecting is your thing that you SHOULDN'T. But making bento doesn't REQUIRE the magpie tendency to collect shinies unless that's what you really enjoy.

*hanging my head* I should talk. After I bought a bunch of stuff from Ichiban Kan, I swore NO MORE BENTO STUFF. Then what did I do? Hadda buy an onigiri case.
For bento stuff http://noelfigart.com/blog/category/bento/
NoelFigart

• Website
  • YIM

Postby cajcaj » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:44 pm

It's good to hear that reminder that we can get by with minimal shinies - and that some of you are quite successful at it! I don't plan to become a true collector myself, but have found that it is kind of fun to have stuff. So far, I've found myself buying stuff because I need it for a specific purpose. My latest cool find was some tiny (one inch) silicon cups. They look like micro cupcake cups, but come in shapes like diamond, round, oval. They work great for dabs of wasabi, etc. See? Not a collector item. Serves a specific need for that wasabi paste. (OK, I know I could have cut the corner out of a plastic sandwich bag ;) )
cajcaj

Postby PikaMama » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Here is the tiny sad space I must cram my bento supplies in to :P

PikaMama

• Website

PreviousNext

Return to Tips