Looking for a tool to shred carrots and zucchini

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Looking for a tool to shred carrots and zucchini

Postby rubidoux » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:25 pm

That really says it all. There are several things I'd like to shred them for -- thai herb rolls, salads, breads/muffins. In my dream world there's something that's quick, easy, cheap, doesn't take up a lot of space or require much cleaning. I don't really want a big food processor, but I'd consider a smaller one if they work well.
rubidoux

Re: Looking for a tool to shred carrots and zucchini

Postby Pangolin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 am

A small food processor would work finr (we have a small one (maybe Oster brand) and a Magic Bullet, both of which would work.
There's also the option of using a normal grater, which come in both 2-D and 3-D forms, usually with at least a couple if not several different options for grating things more or less corse or fine.
A mandoline also works, but they generally take up more space (although there are some good ones out there that pack away well), but you have to be VERY CAREFUL not to get your fingers near the blades as they are generally sharper and easier to cut yourself on.
Then there's the ultimate multi-tasker, the sharp knife!

Partly, it depends on if you want shreds, small cubes, chunks, or mush when you are finished.

Pangolin

• Website

Postby rubidoux » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 am

Hmmm... I have a magic bullet, but I don't think it'll do what I want. I want longish shreds. Do food processors do this? I'm scared of mandolines. I feel like it would be a real pita to use a grater on carrots, but zucchini might be easier. And I think I can usually find carrots already shredded at a couple of the stores I shop at.
rubidoux

Postby Pangolin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:02 am

For shreds you're pretty much stuck with either a grater or a mandoline. Unfortunately, anything that's going to make a carrot into shreds is going to have very sharps blades you ahve to be careful with. You could do the same thing with a knife, but making the shreds consistent will be much harder and take lots of practice.

There's always the old-school way of doing it with a peeler. If you use full-size carrots, you can get very long shreds, but they aren't very thick.

Pangolin

• Website

Postby rubidoux » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 am

Maybe I should just get a grater and try it. :lol: I'm assuming it'll be a pain, but I've never actually done it. I bet it would be fine with zucchini. Last night I made some carrot bread with trader joe's shredded carrots and they were ok -- a finer shred would have been nice, but it worked fine.
rubidoux

Return to Tips