Raw fish

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Raw fish

Postby LiMei » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 am

How can I use raw fish in bentos? Is it safe, or what can I do to keep it safe (so I don't get "food poisoned")? Can I keep it into my bento in my bag for some hours or does it have to be kept cold until I eat it? Can I prepare it the evening before? Is there some "fish types" that's better than others to use?

Can someone please tell my and give me some tips about what's important when handling raw fish?
http://li-meibento.blogspot.com/ Please comment :)
LiMei

Re: Raw fish

Postby varenikje » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 am

Hmm...I have had sashimi, but only at restaurants. I would kind of doubt that what one can buy at the grocery store is fresh enough to be used as sashimi, but I could very well be mistaken. I have known people who did it, but I don't know that much about what they did! :? Sorry! Hopefully someone will come on here that really knows what they are doing. I have to admit, I prefer cooked meats in my sushi anyway. Just less complication. So things like canned eel (unagi), crab (real or the "fake" crab that they sell these days), fish cake (kamaboko) are a few examples of things I put into my sushi.
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child

varenikje

Return to Tips