Drawings and coloring?

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Drawings and coloring?

Postby LiMei » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi, I was not sure where to put this, but I wonder if some of you know what it is that is used to "draw" on the food? I have seen someone use nori aswell, is that a special type of nori, or does it exist some special implements to cut them in for example eyes and mouth? And what can I use to "color" different foods?
http://li-meibento.blogspot.com/ Please comment :)
LiMei

Re: Drawings and coloring?

Postby Pangolin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:57 pm

For coloring, there are a couple brands of food markers - Wilton Food Writers, FoodDoodler - or you can creatively use condiments or food coloring. (The food markers can be found online, and in many craft (JoAnns, for example in the Wilton isle) or grocery stores).

Some people do cut nori (there are several kinds of nori, but as far as cutting them for decoartion, they are all about the same) into shapes, as well as a variety of cheeses and vegetables to decorate their bento.

The best implements to use are a either a sharp knife (for cheese and vegetables) or a paper punch or scissors (for nori or soy paper).

Pangolin

• Website

Postby LiMei » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:37 am

Oh, thank you! The paper punch was a smart idea, I also saw some punchers(?)/cutters on Ebay, specially made for nori, like these:
Image :lol:

I can't wait to get them. I'm a total newbie, when it comes to bento, but I'm very exited to get started, and hope someone have more tips about decorating the food to share :)
http://li-meibento.blogspot.com/ Please comment :)
LiMei

Postby PikaMama » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:35 pm

If you're going to get food coloring markers go for Betty Crocker Food Writers. Wilton markers do not do what they claim, I returned mine to the store I felt they worked so badly!

I love the paper punch for nori it works very well!

PikaMama

• Website

Return to Tips