Thawing frozen rice

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Re: Thawing frozen rice

Postby PixelxBento » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Pangolin wrote:According to a couple blogs I've seen, apparently it is okay to make onigiri from coconut rice and freeze it. Here is a recipe and insturctions on making coconut rice onigiri in case anyone else is curious.

Thank you, but page isn't found. :/ Did you mean this?

PixelxBento

Postby leanelunchy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 pm

I love the idea of frozen coconut rice - will have to give that a try!

leanelunchy

• Website

Postby smoke » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 pm

I imagine that the rice could be going in while it's too dry? I always find that rice will need rehydrating after being in the fridge, no matter how airtight the container.

Also, this is based off of research into why frogs can survive being frozen. Maybe the rice is suffering because ice crystals are sharp? Ice crystals from sugar water are more rounded, so maybe if the rice is flavored, it might survive better?
smoke

Postby Pangolin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:39 pm

You could also try soaking the rice before cooking it - as if you were making sushi rice for actual sushi:

1. Put rice and water in the rice cooker pot (or pot on the stove)
2. Let rice soak for 30 minutes.
3. Turn on the rice cooker / heat to cook it.

This might help the grains suck up more water, which in turn, should make it less dry when you;ve refrigerated or frozen it.

Pangolin

• Website

Postby chameleon089 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:48 am

I think the problem is that the rice has cooled too much and lost too much moisture. From what I've read, onigiri were traditionally made with hot rice. Sushi is made with room temp rice so as not to wilt the nori or affect the fish. Try making your onigiri with the hottest rice you can stand and see if that helps. I use a mold and take it straight from the pot, still steaming. Haven't had any problems with freezing, thawing, refrigeration, reheating, etc... and this includes filled onigiri.
chameleon089

Previous

Return to Tips