Freezing and egg moulds

Tricks for speedy prep, packing, food safety, freezing, organization, and saving money

Freezing and egg moulds

Postby beccy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 am

Hi,

This is my first post and it's kind of two questions in one post. Sorry if this question has already been asked, I quickly checked and I don't think it has been asked.
1. Is it possible to freeze ham/salami etc and sliced cheese, and if so for how long? I just want to have some cut into nice shapes ready if I have used up the ones in the fridge, as I generally don't have ham and cheese in my fridge all the time.
2. I'm finding that when I place what to me appears to be a fairly small egg, into the egg moulds (bear and rabbit), that the eggs barely fit and cant even close most of the time. I'm finding that I have to squeeze really hard to push excess boiled egg white then kind of rip of the until it does fit. Does anyone else have the same problem? I'm sure that when I bought it off ebay it was the large size mould (it was a while ago). Perhaps Japan has small egg sizes :?: , I'm not sure...

Thanks!
beccy

Re: Freezing and egg moulds

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:33 am

I often freeze sandwich meats. Put a piece of parchment paper between pieces or groups of pieces(1 serving) to make separation easier. Cut, uncooked wieners(various shapes) freeze well too.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby Pangolin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 am

1. I've never tried to freeze lunch meat, but it would probably work as long as you wrap it up well enough it doesn't get freezer-burn. Sliced and shredded cheese can definitely be put in the freezer, and come out fine when they thaw. Blocks of cheese get crumbly when you freeze and thaw them - which makes them a lot harder to cut.

2. Egg molds - In my experience the large or jumbo egss fill out the molds the best. Small eggs just don't have enough bulk to fill out the molds. Another idea might be to change the orientation of the egg when you put it in the mold. Placing the egg large end down in the mold, and slowly closing the mold makes the egg squish better to fill out the small spaces.

Pangolin

• Website

Postby RyeBlossom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 am

I just wanted to second Pangolin on the cheese thing. Do not put in the freezer blocks of cheese, unless you want crumbled cheese >_<
I put some sliced cheese in a pita, quartered it, wrapped up portions of 1/2 pita, and put in the freezer for my son. It froze well.
No experience with lunch meat, but slices of (homemade) roast turkey kept well for me, wrapped well (plastic wrap+ aluminum foil, in a freezer bag), but not for long.
There are different sizes to eggs, based on their weight. Did you try the medium sized eggs? I think that quail eggs are used usually. I don't know if that's because the size is right for a kid, or there's some other reason.
RyeBlossom

Return to Tips