So I'm getting my tongue pierced...

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

So I'm getting my tongue pierced...

Postby Jeo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:03 am

Yeah, I know that a lot of mothers come to this site so try not to be too hard on me.
This will be the third time I'm getting it pierced.
1st was in college, took it out before my parents could see it.
2nd was around two years ago, I had to remove it because of unforeseen circumstances. I prefer not to go into that, I'm sorry.
Now I want it done again. I didn't want to remove it last time, so I recently got bitten by the bug again. My scar tissue from the last time healed up (I can't feel it like I use to, and I can't see it anymore.) so I'm hoping this will go through okay. The first time did not hurt at all, second time was through scar tissue so it hurt like crazy, worse during the healing phase.

OKAY!! TO THE POINT!!

Friday, when I get it done, I'll be pretty much incapacitated. I'll have to lay off the solid foods for probably around 2 weeks or less.
You guys have such great ideas with bentos so I know some of you can help me out.
I don't want to stop making bentos during the healing phase and I also don't want to drink chicken broth (as good as it may be :lol: ) and eat jell-o during that time.
I need some ideas.

I need some tasty, healthy, mushy food. Food that I don't have to chew up too much for risk of biting my tongue or irritating it.
Any ideas for quick, easy to make, yummy soft food would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
Jeo

Re: So I'm getting my tongue pierced...

Postby Biggie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:58 am

Well this subject line definitely got my attention, Jeo! :lol:

Hmm, not particularly bento-friendly, but off the top of my head, there's always your custardy-textured foods like chawan-mushi (savory Japanese custard), flan, etc. Definitely juk (or conjee -- rice porridge) or okayu (the Japanese version of the same). I like the rice porridges because you can make them with old refrigerated or frozen rice quickly, adding in your favorite condiments (thousand-year eggs, etc.). Or are they too solid for you?
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby Jeo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 am

Well, I've never really strayed far from the frozen food section and sandwiches (along with quick sweets like Teddy Grahams and yogurt covered raisins) for my usual bentos so I don't really know if these are too solid or not. :lol:
I know during after the first time, I had to stay away from solids for around four days or so, it might take longer or not depending on if the scar tissue really healed up or not.

I'll have to look up these recipes and see what magic I can work. I only hope that I'm not maimed or homeless in the end. (j/k, I not a very experienced cook so I tend to take jabs at myself. ;) ).

Thanks Biggie!
Jeo

Postby Folly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:30 am

How about creamy soups? Puree some cooked kabocha squash with chicken broth; then, when heated through, splash with a little cream. (The real stuff.) And if you've got a sweet tootch, try the same with a can of candied yams Both of these vegetables will provide you with fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B1 and B2 and more. And of course, there is always silken tofu - simmered in dashi, splashed with soy sauce or salad dressing, or as part of miso soup.
Folly

Postby Folly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:35 am

... And smoothies. I've had a lot of oral surgery in the last few years and had to come up with an arsenal of not-hot, soft foods. The best was Ben & Jerry's ice cream -- although I did have to puree the Cherry Garcia. :)
Folly

Postby elenacala » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:12 pm

hwo about mashed potatoes? puddings are good too i think. yougurts are good and nto hot and healthy on top of that, maybe some soft frutis like grapes oranges ( althoug hthe acidity might be bothersome).
elenacala

Postby Megs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:50 am

So I have learned, from time in nursing homes and from when hubby had to have wisdom teeth pulled, anythink in a blender tastes the same. Honestly, I've seen hot dogs put through the blender and no one seemed to mind(it just tastes like hot dog). I'm not sure how this would work with bento - creative use of cucake liners, maybe??
Making bentos for hubby since May 2008!
Flickr Page = http://www.flickr.com/photos/megswallace/
Personal Blog = http://www.megswallace.blogspot.com/
deviantArt = http://lostfallen-angel.deviantart.com/
Megs

Postby Biggie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 pm

So Jeo, how did your tongue piercing go? What foods worked well for you, and what didn't? Inquiring minds want to know! :)
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby Jeo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Oooooooh, I been kind of embarrassed to say...but I changed my mind at the drop of a hat.
I instead got my lower lip pierced. :oops:
I wanted this more anyways.

I tried the rice porridge and it was pretty tasty and really easy to make. (Biggie)
I've been lazy recently and I've just been bringing canned soups (creamy chicken or tomato) to work so that helped me reduce tearing the skin around the piercing for a few days. (Folly)
I had some trouble with the blender. I'll have to go out and buy another one. And there were so many different flavors of smoothies to make, I couldn't make up my mind so I ended up not making any at all. That's how I get when I'm overwhelmed. (Folly cont.)

I attacked jello and pudding. I tried my best not to chew too much because even brushing my teeth in the morning would hurt and sting the inside wound (at night it didn't bother me when I brushed my teeth...only in the morning because it was trying to heal up and I keep messing it up. :) ) In all truth, I'm not really a fruit person. I rarely eat fruits. I'm more of a veggie person though I'm a far far away from being a vegan. (elenacala)
I don't think I would have the strength to put a full meal in a blender and then eat it/drink it. I'd end up making myself sick. ;) (Megs)

I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas and new things to try out. My piercing has healed up fabulously and it's back to normal. I was so happy to be eating solid foods again.
Jeo

Postby hikaru333 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:41 pm

I know this is really late but when i had 5 teeth pulled I went through probably 2 packs of Apple sauce in a week....Apple sauce seems kinda bento friendly :?
hikaru333

Next

Return to General Lunch Discussion