Taking Your Bento to Work

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Re: Taking Your Bento to Work

Postby arkonitebabe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:59 pm

I work on my own, so I don't have anyone to scowl at my lunches :lol:
On occassion when I do have a work colleague with me, he just shakes his head at my lunch, or he refers to my "obsession with those silly plastic pots!"
I just smile at him and continue to eat my healthy and interesting lunch while he chows down on sarnies or sausage rolls!
arkonitebabe

Postby elenacala » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:06 pm

It really doesn't suprise me that most kids love bento or are jealous of kids with a bento, I mean what tells your kids that you love them mroe than spending time on making them something that they will love, and that is also tasty and nutritious? If I were a kid or even a hubby for that matter I would be seriously jealous of someone who had a hand made bento, b/c it just shows how much you care about them. I know when I make my hubby his bento's he tells me that he loves them, and looks forward to them, I think in part because its one way I show him that I love him.
elenacala

Postby hikaru333 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 pm

My friend at school brought the cutest bento, it was a farm themed one. It wasn't the healthiest one in the world. It had a horse made of a piece of bread with peanut butter on it and chocolate sprinkle for hair, cauliflower sheep, Owl eyes made of hard boiled eggs cut in half, and rice in the shape of a cow with nori as the spots. we sat for 10 minutes just talking about how cool it was, we had at least 10 people crowding around to see it. :lol:
hikaru333

Postby Pangolin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:47 am

That fram bento sounds good to me ... so what if there are a few chocolate sprinkles? It sounds like the rest of the meal was plenty healthy.
Pangolin

• Website

Postby varenikje » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:02 am

Well, I haven't been doing bentos for very long, and I work at a nursing home/hospital. If I eat at work, then we seem to all eat together in the same room (otherwise, I go home and get my lunch). The people that I work with and eat lunch with are definitely interested in my lunch. Their main comment seems to be that it doesn't look like much food. One person said something along the lines of, "Don't mind us while we stare at your lunch." he he. :lol: Most people eat from the cafeteria, which is possible for me too, but really pretty troublesome. I eat non gluten, so finding out if every sauce or ingredient in what they have made is non gluten would be difficult. Also, the salads are mostly iceberg lettuce with a little carrot sprinkled on top and salad dressing that probably has gluten in it. :roll: So I either go home or bring a bento for lunch! I haven't gotten up the nerve to make anything too decorative, and I may or may not do that.

But given the American habit (let alone the hospital habit) of just slopping something into a bowl, bento lunches look pretty different! Guess I will do more as I learn more about bentos! 8-)
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby Pangolin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:11 pm

My husband's lunches get a few looks from co-workers, but most are just amazed he's organized enough to bring a lunch everyday. Especially those that eat the yucky food in the cafeteria. Apparently, at least one of them thinks that nasty cafeteria pizza everyday is better than eating a leftover for lunch.
I wouldn't trust the food there anyway - last summer a woman in the building went down to the cafeteria and bought a yogurt, ate it, and a short while later was so sick she was rushed to the hospital. Apparently, she got food poisoning and was in the hospital for five days. When they looked at the containers os yogurt - the "purchase by" date was 2004! Not only bad food in the cafeteria, but apparently dangerous too!
Pangolin

• Website

Postby varenikje » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Ew! :? That makes a bento sound even more inviting than it would have before! :shock:
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby lanib2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:44 pm

I get nice comments from my co-workers about my lunch. I have had to explain to most what a bento is, but everyone thinks its cute and laugh cause they know I am a Japan crazy person ... I have made a mini bento for a co-worker cause she was very interested but I could not get her into making her own bento ... But she loves it when I make hot dog octopi or something very bento.

I dont make lunch for my husband everyday like I do myself, but he likes it when I make a cute lunch and enjoys showing it off at work. His office is very small and they always ooh and ahh over it. Though I think he was embarrassed when i made the love heart rice hehehe
http://cookinglani.blogspot.com its my food blog, cause food is awesome!
lanib2

Postby hikaru333 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Those stories are soo cute! :D
At my school most people pack because:
1. The food is cafeteria food
2.To "try" and make it healthier they grind up fruits and veggies into a mush and mix it with the meat---it tastes NASTY
3. maggots were found in a pizza one time
4. and weirdest of all, all the oranges one day were black on the inside, yuk! :o
I'm glad i discovered bento!. :oops: i actually packed my first bento to my japanese class on saturday, everyone had something positive to say! :lol:
hikaru333

Postby varenikje » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:19 am

lanib2, it is quite sweet of you to make bento for your husband and even the small one for your co-worker! :) Maybe I should volunteer to make a bento for some of my coworkers! Now that I think of it, there is a potluck gathering at the nursing home today. Maybe I will do a plate of sushi...

hikaru333 I think your school lunch room NEEDS you to start bringing bento! I also think I might be afraid to eat in there :?
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

PreviousNext

Return to General Lunch Discussion