Taking Your Bento to Work

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Re: Taking Your Bento to Work

Postby Dragonflyknits » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:31 am

I generally eat in my corner of the office, and the other 2 people are out at lunch. My direct boss goes home with her husband every day (he works here too) and the big boss, who has been known to curl his nose at stinky food, makes a fast run to Jack in the Box. I generally eat while he's gone, just because my tummy is less stressed while he's not sitting there. :? But my boss thinks the bentos are cute; she's German and had never heard of them before.

My food generally isn't all that kawaii, mainly due to time constraints. Although, much to my teenage daughter's scorn, I got the rabbit egg mold and use it for my hard boiled eggs. Who says moms can't have cute food?? But I just make a nice arrangement of the actual food otherwise, and seldom do much more than cut hearts or stars out of cheese for decoration.
Judy in SC
Dragonflyknits

Postby metherer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi. New member - treat me gently!!

I got into Bento lunches a while ago, but recently started doing them again.

The most common comment is that I must have a lot of spare time on my hands.
The second is that I eat wierd food (come on, I had pork pie and sausage roll in my Bento today. Hardly unusual in the UK!)
And the third? Have you got comedy fruit again today?? (Apparently a peeled Lychee looks like something out of a bushtucker trial, that was formerly attached to a kangaroo. :roll: Nice.)

My close work colleagues love the idea, and the cute box I have. The guys I lunch with (old colleagues but based in the same building) tend to think its a waste of time, but then sit there looking envious with their soggy sarnies. :lol:

Metherer
~~~~~~
http://aahbento.blogspot.com
~~~~~
metherer

• Website

Postby Kiana » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:28 pm

YAY! I finally got a job! Just when i was about to give up, anyway this means that i will be posting more bentos. I know it's been so long since i've last posted a bento! i really miss doing it so now I wont have to miss it so much since i'll be doing them...lol :mrgreen:
Making bentos and lovin it!
Kiana

Postby metherer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Kiana, congrats. Hope you'll enjoy your work
~~~~~~
~~~~~
metherer

• Website

Postby Kiana » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 am

Thank you!

Oh and trust me I will, I hate to say it but for the past year i've been so desperate for a job and was about to start looking for retail or mall jobs (I work in the medical field so to look for a mall job is kinda harsh) that I was shocked when they told me to come back on monday not to mention that its where i've wanted to work! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Making bentos and lovin it!
Kiana

Postby metherer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:07 am

Fantastic news, and can't wait to see the Bentos!
~~~~~~
~~~~~
metherer

• Website

Postby Jeo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 am

Well, I eat in my office with my husband and we're alone. So I don't have anyone to show off my bento to. I usually show him the night before so it's old news by lunch time. I did have someone ask what my kinchaku was and I smiled and said, "It's my lunch." So, I don't really have anyone to show mine to, but I make them for myself and to take my mind off of everyday troubles.
Jeo

Postby myremi » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:10 pm

I have lunch with a work colleague at the company cafeteria. My bentos are now very simple but ppl do want to take a peak at it. Whether it's at the pantry while heating it up in the microwave or in the big cafeteria with ppl trying not to look so obvious at trying to see what I'm eating. Haha!
myremi

Postby JeanneWahine » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:30 pm

If someone makes an impolite remark, I will enlighten them to the cultural history, convenience, and economics of the bento.

I will continue bringing my bento regardless of what others think.
JeanneWahine

Postby Kiana » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:31 pm

lol i've been making bentos i swear but i barely have any photos to show for them, :oops: oh well so i bring my bentos to work and well i've gotten so many different reactions that i really dont care what anyone thinks but its because i work in a female dominated environment (an opthalmology office) not that there is anything wrong with being female its just that, well... all the nurses/assistants there are lets say 92% female, some more rude and unprofessional than others. Anyway i am acceptant towards those who are curious and complementive but there are also others, who, well have never heard of the saying"if you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"!some of the nicer girls at work wonder how i get full with such a small lunch and most them think that my bentos are cutesy. i tell them its portion controll and there just fascinated by it but mostly how everything is small. you see at work most of the girls there have become accustomed to the super size fast food meals, not to mention when we as an office are treated to food by medication representatives (they promote their meds and offer samples). So anyway i've been getting mixed reactions about my bentoing but my ears are open only to those who are curious and just plain nice about it. as for the other "unheard whispers" they go in one ear and out the other,its a great skill i picked up as a kid lol ;) :lol: comes in handy! :mrgreen:

i miss u all and my warmest welcome to all the new bento-ers! :mrgreen:
Kiana

PreviousNext

Return to General Lunch Discussion