Taking Your Bento to Work

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere
Post a reply

Taking Your Bento to Work

Postby Megs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:19 am

Okay, I've seen people comment here and there about reactions to bentos at work, so I thought I'd start a topic about it. So, basically, how do your co-workers respond to bento? What about co-workers of significant others (if you pack lunch for them)?
In my experiences, my manager seems to think it's just a waste of time. In his very words "It doesn't matter what you do to it, it's still just a hot dog" in response to hot dog octopi. However, he largely approves of the other foods I pack it with and sometimes seems envious of my tasty food. I got similar responses from one of the nurses I preceptored with my last semester in school, too.
My boss thinks they're really neat though, but he hasn't said much beyond that. My gormet co-worker likes the visual presentation.
My husband, on the other hand, has had all good experiences. His co-workers are actually kind of jealous (one asked, through my husband, if I could show his girlfriend how. However, I can't stand her for more than 4 seconds so I told her to look it up on the interent :oops: ). At the request of his district manager, he won't eat his bento until she makes it into the store so she can see it (speaking of, I'll have to make a cute one tomorrow...)
Making bentos for hubby since May 2008!
Flickr Page = http://www.flickr.com/photos/megswallace/
Personal Blog = http://www.megswallace.blogspot.com/
deviantArt = http://lostfallen-angel.deviantart.com/
Megs

Re: Taking Your Bento to Work

Postby Caldercup » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

My husband manages a team of designers so -- not only do they already know a little about bento -- they are all very interested in the look and feel of the more elaborate bentos I send along with him. Add to that the fact that most of them are poor guys, just out of college -- the idea that someone would cook for them and worry about their nutrition, let alone the presentation of their food just boggles their minds.

With my son, I have to be careful not to make his bentos very fru-fru or adolescent -- he's an 8th grader. But he likes that they're unique. The other kids think they're interesting. (He's always having to fend off "mooches" who want some of it -- even the most boring PB&Js. But, because he's a Type 1 diabetic, he has to eat everything that's in his box because he's dosed his insulin for it.)
Eileen
Cooking for a Type 1 diabetic, gluten-free, teenage boy.
Thank goodness he thinks bento is fun!

See my ramblings at: http://www.thesublurbs.com
Caldercup

Postby Pangolin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:15 pm

At first, DH was asked if I was Asian, because we eat so much white rice. He got a good laugh out that! (I'm a short, Jewish, Eastern-European "mutt".) Now, though, we pack most of his lunches in a Mr. Bento, and the other guys just see it as a lunch pail. He works with a fairly diverse group of people, and that much have something to do with thier lack of interest. He did tell me I could make things cute - as long as no Hello Kitty hard-boiled eggs show up!

When I had co-workers, I used to get comments about the "weird" things I ate - like colored goldfish crackers, sushi, or indian food. Now that I work alone, there's no one to make comments. I'm selling bento boxes and tiffins in my store now though, so I may have to step up the cuteness at least to take pictures for signs and ads.
Pangolin

• Website

Postby islandjane » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:10 am

It depends on what I pack, some co-workers think the food looks "weird" ( :roll: ), most times they just tease me in good fun "is that your bent toe?" HAHAHAHAHA.

My DH does love if I make his lunch, cause I don't that often. He just doesn't want me to spend a lot of time or use any cute containers.

I made one for my son who is in kindergarten the one day they were asked to bring a lunch for a project, his whole class including his teacher loved it.
~~~~~Jane, Mom to 2 boys (6 & 3), WOHM from Atlantic Canada~~~~~
islandjane

Postby eventamy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I've had very positive comments from my co-workers, but it's my students who are really interested in my lunches! They always want to know what I'm having and see it. It's very cute!

My husband gets very jealous comments from his co-workers! The girls get comments from their teachers mostly, they're all really positive.
eventamy

Postby PikaMama » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:40 pm

Whenever my mom has to go in to the office I pack her bento :D Her coworkers think it's really neat.

The thing I hate most is the comments of "I wish I had time for that...." Like all I do is sit around making bento and eating bon bons whilst watching my soap operas. :roll: I'm a single working mother of an 8 year old...I have no free time. So if I have time for it so does everyone else. Seriously.
PikaMama

• Website

Postby StarsOfCASSiOPEiA » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:09 am

PikaMama wrote:Whenever my mom has to go in to the office I pack her bento :D Her coworkers think it's really neat.

The thing I hate most is the comments of "I wish I had time for that...." Like all I do is sit around making bento and eating bon bons whilst watching my soap operas. :roll: I'm a single working mother of an 8 year old...I have no free time. So if I have time for it so does everyone else. Seriously.

You're SO RIGHT.

We're all busy people here.
StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Postby Caldercup » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 am

Yeah, that!!

I spend only a minimal amount of time more on arranging a bento than I would if I'd just slammed a PB&J together (which I've also done for bentos when I'm pressed for time.) I just make a point of keeping the fridge stocked or making extra items at dinner and freezing them for "speed bentos" whenever I need them.

Eileen
Cooking for a Type 1 diabetic, gluten-free, teenage boy.
Thank goodness he thinks bento is fun!

See my ramblings at: http://www.thesublurbs.com
Caldercup

Postby NoelFigart » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:25 am

When I worked in an office, the usual reaction was "oh cool!" But I worked for an Ivy League institution and had an incredibly diverse workplace. Food novelty was admired.

RE: Wishing one had the time.

I think if you point out that bento is just a hobby you think is cool, maybe the goodness competitiveness would go away. (One may hope. I've encountered it myself and it makes me cringe).
For bento stuff http://noelfigart.com/blog/category/bento/
NoelFigart

• Website
  • YIM

Postby Fallstar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Whenever I take a bento lunch to work, no one seems to notice. But that's not surprising to me, since most of my co-workers eat the "frozen lunch in a box" thing, or bring in old decrepit & dingy plastic containers (meant to be disposable) with leftovers. Or...many times they just order pizza to be delivered. :D Only one of my friends/co-workers actually comments on my bentos, saying they are cute.
Fallstar

Next

Post a reply

Return to General Lunch Discussion