Social Implications For Men?

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Re: Social Implications For Men?

Postby eventamy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions and replies.
Corgi, that Bitter & Milk box that you posted, they now have that on Ichiban Kan too, I was looking at it today. I think that's the one I'm going to get him, especially since it's $8 on Ichiban vs. $24 on J-Box.
eventamy

Postby Corgi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Yeah, J-Box does a lot of Japanese shipping, so they're good for ideas and then looking elsewhere. However, they're the only place I've seen the onigiri cases matching my juubako!
Corgi
Corgi

Postby crden » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:02 pm

We all use Laptop Lunchboxes here, even dh. It's a titch small for dh, but overall he likes it and doesn't get flak. I usually pack leftovers, so there's nothing particularly fancy in there.
crden

Postby Kyoki » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Hee. Orion gets teased when he doesn't bring a cutesy lunch to work. On days when I'm tired or sick and he brings soup, or a sandwich, or buys there, he catches people all the time making comments like "Oooh, trouble in the Charis household" and "Wow, do you need to bring flowers home?"
Sakura Blossoms Spokane- a Japanese interest club for women
The Laughing Otter- bento stuff mixed in with other stuff!
Kyoki

Postby photogrl13 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Reading this tread is helpful. My husband just kind of rolls his eyes at me when I even mention the word bento. I really want to get him a box and make a plainer version of what I'm doing for myself, but I just don't think he'd like it. It really makes me sad because it's a great way to have good food, portion control, and just overall bento makes it easier to eat healthy (at least for me it does!). I'm already loosing weight from eating bento at school/work. I just wish I could get my husband interested. They only way I know how is to just do it anyways, but I'm not sure what his reaction will be if I did that. Any suggestions?
photogrl13

Postby smoke » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm

My husband would destroy a more delicate box. He uses a normal american-style casserole container.

As far as manly bento accessories, you might want to try a normal grocery store or liquor store to get food picks. Primary-color silicon dividers are manly, especially if you go for plain geometric shapes.

I got a bit lazy at one point and crossed some imaginary line between "pretty" and simply "portion controlled." A sandwich was fancy compared with the stews that I would send with him. Having a box that was too small for him helped, since I could do something completely different in a snack box.
smoke

Postby photogrl13 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. He did finally say that if I packed a bento for him that he would eat it, which makes me happy. I want to buy a bento for him now! :D
photogrl13

Previous

Return to General Lunch Discussion