Page 1 of 2

Question About Onigiri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:05 pm
by ChrissiHR
I've read about stuffed onigiri, but I have no idea what people put in them. Onigiri isn't very common here in rural, eastern PA. ;) What do you put in yours? And what would you stuff your onigiri fwith for a young child (around 6 or so) and a picky eater? I'll try anything to get my son to eat lunch!

Re: Question About Onigiri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:54 pm
by QChan
Personally I like Umeboshi or Tuna stuffed onigiri.

Honestly you could put ANYTHING you want in an onigiri, maybe somthing like soya sauce marinated chicken would be good for a picky eatter.

What kind of foods does your son like?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:56 pm
by eilismaura
ChrissiHR wrote:I've read about stuffed onigiri, but I have no idea what people put in them. Onigiri isn't very common here in rural, eastern PA. ;) What do you put in yours? And what would you stuff your onigiri fwith for a young child (around 6 or so) and a picky eater? I'll try anything to get my son to eat lunch!

I don't know if this is a heretical suggestion or not but I have added sugar on occasion to mine.

Mostly mine have been plain (like having a slice of bread on the side of what I am eating) but I have been experimenting more - like yesterday it was small bit of deli ham and bits of shredded cheese for a ham and cheese onigiri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 pm
by QChan
Haha, sugar would be tasty... I mean you could go all out like this person did

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:57 pm
by Biggie
Onigiri is good stuffed with any strong-tasting, pretty dry filling (if it's too moist the rice'll fall apart around it). Chopped-up meat/fish and veggies from curry or stew, or stir-fry, kimchi, bulgogi, flaked grilled fish, chutney & fresh mint, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:44 am
by veganf
my favourite is miso paste & scallion....or adzuki beans....or spicy pickled greens... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:04 pm
by ChrissiHR
QChan wrote:Personally I like Umeboshi or Tuna stuffed onigiri.

Honestly you could put ANYTHING you want in an onigiri, maybe somthing like soya sauce marinated chicken would be good for a picky eatter.

What kind of foods does your son like?

Umm...fruit. :roll: I was thinking of putting some of his favorite raviloi stuffings in onigiri and trying that with some familiar foods first. Pumpkin and mascarpone, crab and cream cheese, pork-apple sausage, that sort of thing. (Notice they all have a sweet flavor. :roll:) He also loves cold ravioli stuffed with avocado and lemon juice of all things. :roll: He dips them in ranch dressing. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:34 pm
by Bunny
I've been known to make "breakfast" onigiri. Instead of stuffed, they're mixed, though.
When my rice is ready, I will scramble an egg or two, depending on how much I'm making, and cook them a little on the dry side. Also, I mix them extra well so the pieces are small. I dump that into the rice, along with some bacon bits. The real bacon ones, though, not the fake things. Mix well, and make into onigiri shapes. I just use enough so I get the flavor of bacon and eggs, too much mixed in and they wouldn't stick together.

I also like the flavored tuna, there's one that is sweet and spicy, and on the front of the package it advertises "great on rice!" It's certainly great IN rice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:57 am
by Riss
Anyyyyyyything. I put asian beef and left over char siu in mine, kind of like a "onigiri dumpling" type thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:28 pm
by jskidmoreca
As already stated, you can add just about anything. I even read once where someone used peanut butter