excited to start!

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

excited to start!

Postby rubidoux » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:57 am

I have wanted to bento for a while now, but last time I started, I realized that my son (was in pre-school then, but now he's seven) only wanted boring foods in his lunchbox. So, I did mostly laptop lunches for almost that whole year, but he just didn't eat much. Last year I sent him to school with a cheese sandwich and an apple (or other boring fruit) and got a much better reception. I am gonna try again, though. Maybe I just wasn't picking the right foods. I know now that something like carrots are a bad idea -- they just take too long for him to eat. So I'll have to experiment.

I've got the laptop lunchbox, three of these (2 small, one large) -- http://pearlriver.com/v2/FramesCat.asp?iGroup=333, and yesterday I ordered a set of easylunchboxes with two cooler bags (I'm hoping the cooler bags will work well with the round stainless steal, I wasn't able to find a good bag that would keep them upright-ish before -- and my son adores these containers almost as much as I do, lol) and, for the icing on the cake and hopefully the last lunchbox I buy for a little while -- I got Milo this for xmas (if I can wait that long to play w it) http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Monster-design-lunch-170ml/dp/B0036BRL5M/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1288806655&sr=8-16.

Does anyone have the Pokemon Ball lunchbox? I'm dying to know if it really works well.

While I'm waiting for my easylunchboxes (which are backordered) I'll be experimenting with recipes. :)

Jayne (mom to Milo, 7, and Augie, 20 mos)
rubidoux

Re: excited to start!

Postby rubidoux » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 am

Ack, for some reason I can't post to the actual item at the Pearl River site. I've got the round stainless steel lunchbox with dish, first item at the top of page 3.
rubidoux

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Welcome and best of luck on this new go round with lunches. Hope you can find something that your son will be happy to devour up at lunch!

I have learned that, despite having a kiddo who's pretty open minded about food, it's still better to test run things at home before adding them in the lunch. We did test runs of sandwiches last year-I made half sandwiches for breakfast and if he liked them, they got added in the lunch rotation. Another tip for expanding horizons is to offer things on the family table and if they are not immediately embraced, bring them back around from time to time for repeat performances. I also take the same familiar, loved ingredients and see how I can re-package them. Sometimes I take a favorite dish and change up one ingredient for variety. Feel free to post your lunch menus on this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1928 either in photo or written form. There are similar threads from past years in the kid's section full of great ideas too! Check them out if you haven't already.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby rubidoux » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks, gfbentomom! I was looking at your flickr earlier today and it's so inspiring! I've been gluten free and low carb at various times in my life and you make it look pretty darned good!
rubidoux

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 am

rubidoux wrote:Thanks, gfbentomom! I was looking at your flickr earlier today and it's so inspiring! I've been gluten free and low carb at various times in my life and you make it look pretty darned good!

Thanks. I appreciate that from someone who's been in the trenches!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Return to General Lunch Discussion