Back into Bento

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Re: Back into Bento

Postby varenikje » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 am

So, Moonshae, do we get to see pix of your lunches as you go along? It will be interesting to see... School starts after labor day here, so I am wondering if I should make such a pledge for the school year, but we shall see. For now, I think I am too chicken (wanna see me lay an egg?)

I will have to look, but I am almost positive that edamame are sold fresh here. They would be sold at the Safeway in the next town, about 30 miles away so I will check next time I am there. It would make sense that capsicum are what we would call bell peppers here. Freezing rice sounds like a good way to go. I have a rice cooker that will cook just a tiny bit of rice, but having it cooked and ready to go sounds like a good way to do this (and maybe it will even happen!). Maybe my answer is that I need to use it up faster. I have never made a croquette as you have described. Our "local" grocery store (not the Safeway mentioned above) sells non gluten bread crumbs that come in a tennis ball can sort of container. I save up heels of bread to make bread crumbs out of, but I don't seem to make bread heels very fast.

I just looked up freezer pickles in my Kitchen Treasures book: 1 bunch celery, 2 red sweet peppers (capsicum?), 2 green sweet peppers (also capsicum?), cucumbers unpeeled and thinly sliced, sweet spanish onions, 2 c white vinegar, 4 c white sugar, 1 tsp celery seed, 1 tsp mustard seed.

Use enough vegetables so you have 9 or 10 quarts. Make a salt water brine of 3/4 cup common salt or pickling salt and enough water to cover the cut vegetables. Let stand for 2 hours. In the meantime, make a syrup of vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed. Cool. Mix well with the above drained vegetables. Pack in containers and freeze. Thaw before serving. I am fairly sure I have eaten these with ice crystals still in them at people's houses. They were very good! I wonder if you can freeze these in small individual containers and then put them in your bento like that and they would thaw out over the morning and keep the rest of your food cool?
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Yup, those are the pickles! My recipe instructions are a little different and smaller batch but same ingredients. I've eaten them at other people's homes with little ice crystals in them too! Ha Ha. That's funny. Got my recipe from a lady in Iowa so maybe it's a midwestern thing?!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby moonshae » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 am

Sure, if you'd like photos I'll put them up. I forgot my phone today so no picture of Bento #1. Yes, it is the 2nd so it should be bento #2 but I had a lunch meeting yesterday and bento had to sit unloved in the fridge. So, tomorrow, I will post a picture.

But, rocket/pear/parmesan salad with rocket? Truly awesome combination. Once my tiny rocket plant at home gets going I'm making some. Rocket is arugula in the US I think.
moonshae

Postby varenikje » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Sounds great to me! Tomorrow it is!

Yes, living here in Nebraska, it is the first time I have heard of a freezer pickle, so maybe it is a Midwestern thing.

School starts on Tuesday after Labor day...so maybe I will have to bite the bullet and make bento lunches (more often than I currently do)!
Last edited by varenikje on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby moonshae » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 pm

I seem to have lost the cable that makes the phone talk to the computer. Which I only realise now after I made quite a pretty lunch for once! Usually it's just stuff in a box. Oh well. I was particularly impressed because I made it in the morning before work after a late night out (during which noone cleaned the kitchen so there was NO SPACE! ARGH!)
Friday lunch (bento#2) is rice, green beans, more capsicum, an egg, a little container of mayo for the egg, organic free range ham, some carrot and some edamame on a bear pick. I was debating whether the edamame should just be shoved in the box or put on the pick when BF saw it and started singing "edammi bears! being munched here and everywhere..." Does the rest of the world have the Gummi Bears cartoon?
moonshae

Postby varenikje » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:07 pm

"edammi bears! being munched here and everywhere..." Does the rest of the world have the Gummi Bears cartoon?

Well, I wouldn't know. :D

Your lunch sounds yummy. Maybe the cable will show up one of these days. I guess I kind of miss the fountain of ideas that came from the "What did you have for lunch" forum...

Today, as I was leaving from my volunteer job at the hospital, I asked the dietician (whom I ran into in the hallway), "Would the kitchen here ever make non gluten things or at least be able to tell me which things have gluten and which do not?" And you know what she said? She said that once they did have a patient that was eating nongluten and she had to personally go down and check everything that they wanted to give her to see if it was nongluten or not! :shock: And I said, "Yes, once I was in this hospital and when I asked for a nongluten diet, they brought me toast as part of my first breakfast!" :shock: She just started working at this hospital, so she wasn't the one responsible for that, but apparently the hospital doesn't have very broad experience with nongluten food! So, the end of the story is, I go home for lunch. :roll:
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby moonshae » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:56 pm

I used to be gluten free and I agree, going out can be a nightmare when people are cooking in bulk. I wouldn't risk it in a hospital/school environment.
Cooking cute ( http://cookingcute.com/recipes.htm ) has quite a few GF things for bento.
moonshae

Postby smoke » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am

moonshae wrote:I seem to have lost the cable that makes the phone talk to the computer. Which I only realise now after I made quite a pretty lunch for once! Usually it's just stuff in a box. Oh well. I was particularly impressed because I made it in the morning before work after a late night out (during which noone cleaned the kitchen so there was NO SPACE! ARGH!)
Friday lunch (bento#2) is rice, green beans, more capsicum, an egg, a little container of mayo for the egg, organic free range ham, some carrot and some edamame on a bear pick. I was debating whether the edamame should just be shoved in the box or put on the pick when BF saw it and started singing "edammi bears! being munched here and everywhere..." Does the rest of the world have the Gummi Bears cartoon?

Thank you very much.... I had almost forgotten about "Hip hoorah" and that weird flash cartoon associated with it. (Used the Swedish opening theme to Gummi Bears.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO6vkK4nh6I
smoke

Postby moonshae » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Another Monday, but another bento! Bento#3 of September is rice, tamago sorboro ( http://www.justbento.com/handbook/johbi ... panese-egg ), green beans, carrot sticks, capsicum sticks and some almonds. My camera cable is still MIA, and it's very sad. My bento looks awesome today, full of colour.
moonshae

Postby varenikje » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Sounds wonderful, moonshae! Sorry your camera cable is still missing :cry:

I think I am stumbling onto why I am not ready for this daily challenge. I had 2 glasses of fruit juice and water (mixed together) and 1 chicken leg for dinner tonight. Maybe I am not eating enough? But my weight seems to stay the same. :? And I am just not any more hungry. Although your meal does sound yummy. :)
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

PreviousNext

Return to General Lunch Discussion