Back into Bento

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Re: Back into Bento

Postby varenikje » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Hmmm... I found a soboro recipe. Is that what we are talking about? Oh, I bet that is what you are talking about. Now I see a Justbento recipe for it. Like this: http://justbento.com/handbook/johbisai/basic-meat-soboro

The eggplant sounds good. I still have a couple of the skinny Japanese eggplant, so maybe I will try this.
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby moonshae » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:46 pm

I haven't tried it with skinny eggplant yet. Let me know how it goes! I always grab the fat ones for some reason. Habit I suppose.

Yep, that's it. It's a big BF pleaser as well.
moonshae

Postby Pangolin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:07 pm

If you have recipes you'd like to share, don't forget to post them in the Recipe section of the forum.... it'll make it easier for those of us looking for them later!

All this talk is making me hungry!
Pangolin

• Website

Postby moonshae » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 pm

My bento today does not count. It's still in the fridge. But I did box it up for BF so I'm claiming it as bento. Osso bucco. Nom. So easy to bento, get chunk of meat. Put into container. Spoon over the veg/sauce/stuff. Put on lid. Done. It does need microwaving though as it's much nicer hot.

I really need to get more adventurous in my last week of this challenge!
moonshae

Postby elenacala » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:51 pm

I need to get back into bento myself, we just moved and everything hasa been thrown out of whack! I like to keep frozen home made falafals, taquitos, tuna patties or salmon patties in my freezer, then you just heat them up and whip up a little mayo lemon juice4 and dill to serve with it. I was thinking what about making a english afternoon tea bento? You could make little finger sandwiches like cream cheese and pineapple and you sprinkle cinnamon on the cream cheese before you add the pinapple cream cheese mixture, or salmon finger sandwhiches cucumber or tomato finger sandwhiches, you could include a couple of mini eclairs or creampuffs, some fresh fruit and a thermos of your favorite tea. Now that would bea lunch worth having =) at least in my humble opinion. But then again i am afternoon tea nutjob lol. You could always also make some semi pickled cucumbers using rice wine vinegar and sesame seeds, but you have to let them sit for a while. or whatabout making mini brie tarts, you know jsut wrap soem brie up in some pastery but make them small like the size of a muffin or so, and then jsut heat it up and leave some crackers and fruit in your bento... aat least if you wanted a little something special, anyway lol thanks for all of your ideas they sure do help.
elenacala

Postby moonshae » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 pm

WOW! That is a FANTASTIC idea!! I _love_ afternoon tea. Mini scones! finger sandwiches! Batenberg!
moonshae

Postby moonshae » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Home sick so my bento challenge is basically at an end as all I'm eating is toast and tea due to a head cold. Thank you for all your comments!!
moonshae

Postby varenikje » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 am

This is a great idea to do a monthly bento a day thing! You did a good job on it too!

Elenacala, your ideas for keeping things in your freezer look like great! I can't seem to keep my freezer that organized to do something like that however.
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Previous

Return to General Lunch Discussion