Back into Bento

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere
Post a reply

Re: Back into Bento

Postby varenikje » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:08 pm

From what gfbentomom is saying, it sounds like you have it right on.

So, has your staff been bonded today? :)
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby moonshae » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 am

Well, there was a trivia night style thing, with teams. And there may have been team bonding but there was some SERIOUS inter team rivalry. Much yelling and being veyr pedantic about answers.
moonshae

Postby varenikje » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Sounds like it was a good idea that there was an attempt at bonding, then. :?

I made a soup today, but not a bento. It was actually kinda good, with meatballs in a tomatoey broth with rice and artichoke hearts and onion and pesto. I suppose if I had a bento box that was designed for soup, I might have used it. But that will have to wait for another paycheck! :)
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby moonshae » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:20 pm

mmm pesto.... i had a delicious roast vegetable panini yesterday. Would have been run of the mill except for the wonderful home made pesto. He even ground the nuts by hand he said.

I'm thinking a beef and leek soup tonight. THe lock'n'locks are liquid tight enough that I may have some for bento tomorrow... or some miso chicken with rice and broccoli. Still weighing up my monday bento options
moonshae

Postby varenikje » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Well, do I get points for growing the basil myself? 8-) But I just used a blender to mix the basil and pine nuts and garlic and olive oil and salt...

A friend of mine has an extensive garden, and she gave me a couple of leeks the other day and I made them into a potato leek soup. It is getting a bit chilly outside and just about perfect soup weather. I guess I do eat fairly well, but sometimes for unexplainable reasons, my weight just drops. But at present I weigh about 125 pounds, which is just about right (maybe even a little high), so there. :)
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby moonshae » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:49 am

Monday bento! Rice, sorboro, sweet chilli soy baked eggplant, carrot sticks, a few chunks of pork sausage that a friend made. Yes, a friend of mine bought a smoker, a mincer and a sausage maker thing. Meh. Sausages are never going to be my favourite thing for some reason, but they were definitely beter than supermarket ones!

Tuesday bento is miso marinated chicken breast (just bento rules my bento world this week it seems) with rice, steamed broccoli, and some carrot sticks in the gaps.
BF is back on the bento wagon and he's already losing weight. Bah! He has the same as me with the addition of some more pork sausage. I froze my rice in smaller portions this time so without the extra protein he gets hungry and buys hot chips. So, extra protein it is.
moonshae

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:52 am

Your lunches are sounding yummy moonshae!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby moonshae » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Thank you gfbentomom! It's nice having them again.

Yesterday I stayed home sick so no bento. Today is a soup bento I don't really think is a bento. Beef, leek and barley soup with a slice of bread. Perfect for a grey and drizzly day that doesn't want to believe it's spring.
moonshae

Postby varenikje » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon! My favorite "sick food" is ochazuke. But that wouldn't be much of a bento, I am afraid.

What is Sorboro? And tell me a little about sweet chilli soy baked eggplant. I have a few Japanese eggplant from my friend's garden and I need to find something yummy to do with it.
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby moonshae » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:17 pm

sorboro is basically Japanese mince. It's very tasty with rice and freezes really well. I got the recipe from justbento.

The sweet chilli eggplant I think I originally got from the justbento forums. I can't remember what the recipe originally said. I drizzle a baking sheet with some oil, put eggplant (cut into batons) on in a single layer and drizzle with about 2-3 tablespoons of soy and 1-2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce. Bake til it looks like its done!

yeah, I said I was having soup for lunch, but I lied and forgot to grab it out of the fridge. Had to buy lunch *sigh*
moonshae

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to General Lunch Discussion