Bento of the Month Contest: Cost (3/09)

Post your bento for the monthly theme, and come back to vote in the poll to decide on the best! Winners receive a bento-related prize.

Re: Bento of the Month Contest: Cost (3/09)

Postby Biggie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Kyoki wrote:... how do you calculate "food I grew myself and then stored away for use via canning/freezing/ect"?

Marginal cost probably, near zero?
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Postby veganf » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 am

Here's my entry:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102 ... MG1433.jpg
cucumber slices w/a bit of purple cabbage, 2 apple slices, rice & beans.

I'll have to work out the cost when I go shopping again this weekend...all I remember was the cucumbers were on sale....

So the rice & beans were leftovers in the rice cooker...I get about 8 servings from my recipe...so to estimate: $1 can organic diced tomatoes, $1 can organic red beans, $3 bag organic brown rice (used 1/4 of the bag), store brand organic veg broth I used 1/4 of a $2 box...so the 8 servings cost about $3 rounded up (to account for spices, organic scallion, etc.) So a leftover kids portion was probably $.35. Adda few slices of an on sale english cucumber, slivers of red cabbage, and 1/4 of an organic apple, and I'd say this bento cost between 50-60 cents. :D Not bad for mostly organic during winter in New England.
Last edited by veganf on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/

veganf

• Website

Postby Divash » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Two bento for the price of one, or thereabouts:
My happy bento for Friday, 20 March:

My DH's dark-and-light contrast bento for Friday, 20 March:

Rice: Sam's Club white rice, on sale, 20 pound bag for $11. I used about 80 grams of rice in my rice cooker, and split that between the two bento.
Cost: $0.40 for both lunches.

Blue thing: Eggs, $3/dozen, 4 eggs total. I think non-kosher-certified eggs cost only about $2 per dozen, but don't quote me on that.
Cost: $2.00 (combined) for both lunches.

Stir-fry: Carrots, 2, shredded. Red onion, 1/2, shredded. Green cabbage, 1/4, shredded. Purple cabbage, 1/4, shredded. Cooking sherry, tamari, sesame oil, salt, and pepper (I'd be surprised if these total more than $0.25 for all the flavorings, combined). The sherry, tamari, and sesame oil are all kosher-certified, which means they cost a bit more; I suspect the cost would've been a few pennies less for those who don't keep kosher.
Cost: $1.00 for both lunches.
UPDATE: I went back and checked the store to see what I'd really paid for the cabbages, which were on sale, then checked my receipt to find out how much I'd bought (by the pound), then weighed what I've got left to find out how much I used. My math was very bad, apparently -- I only paid about $0.50 for the vegetables, combined.

Clementine tangerine and Jello pudding cup: These are in the photo, but they're not part of lunch. These are for a light commuter breakfast, eaten on the train in the morning.

Total cost for each bento lunch: $2.03.
UPDATE: Because of the adjusted price of the cabbages, above, the actual total for this bento is $1.53.

Keep in mind that this is the cost for kosher-certified ingredients, which costs a bit more than non-kosher food. Those who don't keep kosher could probably have done this for a bit less.
Last edited by Divash on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divash

Postby tenshi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:10 pm

This was a lot of fun! Normally I don't have a lot of time to put into making a bento so I got to do some things I don't normally do. (This will be dinner for tonight heehee)

I used some of the frozen things I had prepared before as well as a lot of staple foods. I also really watched what was on sale this week to get ready for this bento!

Top box: 51 yen
Rice pressed into mini onigiri. Half contain rainbow veggie furikake, half are wrapped in flavored nori. A tiny bit of cabbage is on the side for color.

Bottom box: 135 yen
2 Satsuma-imo balls flavored with orange jelly (12 yen). Hijiki salad with fried tofu, carrots, and soy beans (23 yen). Mochi Tofu Nuggets (57 yen). Veggie Mix with Tomato Sauce and Cheese (32 yen). Spinach and Cheese Eggs (11 yen).

Grand Total: 186 yen

Included in the cost are all the things I had to use to prepare the food too like seasonings, oil, flour, etc. I could have made it cheaper if I had done a different center dish, like salmon or something, but I've really wanted to try out this Mochi Tofu Nugget recipe for awhile. Rice, nori, furikake, satsuma-imo, kouya-dofu, and hijiki are all staple foods. I guess eggs are a staple too. The tofu nuggets came out really well. This was also my first time making traditional Japanese style omlettes in my new pan. Out of everything though, I like the Satsuma-imo balls the best. They are super easy to make and would fit well into my morning quick-and-easy bento routine.

tenshi

Postby Texasmomof4 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:55 am

Being a stay at home mother of four I am beginning to be a pro at keeping meals as cost effective as possible. Here is my breakdown
I followed Biggies tutorial for the spam musubi using Kroger brand spam, nori and rice. Kiwi, carrot, leaf lettuce and strawberries were bought on sale at the local farmers market. Eggs, rice and broccoli also bought at Kroger.
Spam 24/$.99 = $.04 per musubi $.12 for all three musubi
Nori 20/1.99 = $.09 per sheet and I used 1/4 sheet for the three so $.02 for all three musubi
Rice 8/$1.99 = $.24 for all three musubi
Tamagoyaki
egg 12/$.99(with dollar off coupon) = $.08 per egg so $.04 for amount pictured.
soy sauce few drops so pennies maybe $.03
green onion 20/$.49 = $.02
Broccoli 10/1.98 = $.19
Carrot 18/$1.99 = $.11 per carrot and used maybe half so $.05
leaf lettuce 1 head of lettuce $.69 and used 2 leaves so maybe $.03
Kiwi fruit 4/$1.00 = $.12 for 1/2 kiwi
Strawberries 10/$.99 = $.09

So with sales and my wonderful local market from my calculations I get $.95 for this bento.

I forgot the marinade for the spam so add maybe $.10 max making grand total $1.05

Tried to keep it cheap, colorful and fresh. Hope you like it!
Last edited by Texasmomof4 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mom of 4! DS 11, DS 9, DD 6, and DD 4.
http://texasmomof4.blogspot.com/
Visit me on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/30607953@N05/

Texasmomof4

• Website

Postby Texasmomof4 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 am

Laura Bento thank you for donating such a wonderful prize. You are very generous!
Mom of 4! DS 11, DS 9, DD 6, and DD 4.
http://texasmomof4.blogspot.com/
Visit me on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/30607953@N05/

Texasmomof4

• Website

Postby Kiana » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:12 pm

bought last month>Rice 20lb bag= 10.99 on sale at island pacific
Nori= 3.99 for 100 sheets<
bought this weekend
Kabocha squash= 1.19 (and i also have enough for leftovers)
Kiwi= 0.99/lb

Getiing to eat this wonderful bento = Priceless...lol :lol:
Making bentos and lovin it!

Kiana

Postby Laura Bento » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Getiing to eat this wonderful bento = Priceless...lol :lol:

hahah i was waiting for someone to say something like that lol
btw, i'm jealous of your perfect onigiri!

Laura Bento thank you for donating such a wonderful prize. You are very generous!

thank YOU for participating! your bento looks amazing. i love the colors and i especially love the price. great job!
Houston mom of 1 yr old boy! I make bento lunches for hubs :)
http://flickr.com/photos/laurabento/
http://laurabento.livejournal.com/
Laura Bento

Postby Divash » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:31 am

I don't know if it's kosher to submit two entries, but if it is, here's my second one. Sorry about the size. I'm not good at BBcode, but I did use the RIMG tag, and this is as small as it would go.

Breakfast: Pudding cup, 25¢. Clementine tangerine, 25¢.
Breakfast Total: 50¢.
Lunch: Pita, 35¢. Hummous, 35¢. Grape tomatoes, 10¢.
Lunch Total: 85¢.
Cost of both meals combined: $1.35.
Time invested: 2 meals in 2 minutes.
Divash

Postby bellalumia » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:57 am

yum!

contents and cost:
+kiwi: 4 for 1.00, 1 at $0.25
+strawberry: 10 for 1.00, 1 at $0.10
+ramen: half of the package ($0.34), $ 0.17
+3 homemade wings: $0.54

total: $1.06
bellalumia

PreviousNext

Return to Bento of the Month Contest