Bento of the Month Contest: My Valentine (2/09)

Post your bento for the monthly theme, and come back to vote in the poll to decide on the best! Winners receive a bento-related prize.

Re: Bento of the Month Contest: My Valentine (2/09)

Postby Miss D » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:48 pm

This is actually the first fancy bento I've ever made. Generally I just pack food. Any way, my boyfriend decided he wanted to spend the day with my son, so I packed them a special valentines day themed lunch to share.

Food was as follows: heart shaped cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread, hard boiled eggs cut to look like hatching chicks (cut peas for eyes and cheese triangles for beaks), steamed veggie mix of peas, heart shaped carrots and broccoli; fruit salad of pear, grapes and satsuma. Red hearts are bell pepper.

Turns out my toddler isn't into hard boiled eggs or bell peppers, but he liked the rest.

Packed in two Hello Kitty bento boxes. I also made the little clover charm.
Miss D

Postby Kyoki » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 am

I know that it's not as beautiful as the other bento that have been submitted.

But Valentine's is about love, and my bento has a story behind it.

My bento went to work with my husband today, with this story carefully laid on top of the bento above.

A story of a girl wrote:Exactly two thousand, seven hundred eighty one days ago, a girl wandered around a camp covered in red dirt, positive she would live the rest of her life surrounded by friends and still alone. She walked without seeing through knee deep grass, along dark, overgrown trails, and past other people who were content, laughing and talking. She turned away from the beaten path, going against the river of people making their way into a building, and instead turned towards the lake, drawn as she always was to the solace of the familiar element.

And exactly two thousand, seven hundred and eighty one days ago, that girl walked underneath an oak tree and into the rest of her life.

Sitting on a bench, alone by the water, was a quiet boy. He had been drawn to the quiet of this place as well, and that evening, the girl sat down on the bench next to her destiny.

Exactly two thousand, three hundred ninety seven days ago, a young woman stood in the basement of an old Lutheran church, surrounded by dark wood and her bare feet on a floor worn smooth and silky by thousands of other feet. She cried as her father kissed her forehead and said a prayer and a blessing over his only daughter, and she kissed her mother who had taught her everything, and then she climbed an old oak staircase and stood alone in the foyer. The door was behind her- her entire life as a girl was outside those doors.

And exactly two thousand, three hundred ninety seven days ago, a young woman walked down a path polished by thousands before her to become one with a young man- and together, they walked into the rest of their life.

Exactly eighty five days ago, a woman clung desperately to the hand of a man, so concentrated that she forgot to breathe, and she struggled desperately in the fight of her life. Together with the man, she counted, she took slow, deliberate breaths. And when it became too much for her, she pressed her head against him, her eyes clamped shut, while he talked to her softly and the doctors helped ease the pain. And when the time came, she held tightly to his hand and together they fought through the hurt...

And exactly eighty five days ago, the boy and the girl of eight years ago became one more, and three days later they walked out of the hospital, now mother and father, and into their new life.

Today is ground zero. There are no more numbers, because today is the first day of many years to come. And tonight, when they lay down to sleep, they can know that tomorrow will also be the first, and together, they can walk into it- and someday they will be and old man and an old woman, who will sit beside a lake, gazing over the water, into the rest of their lives.

Happy Valentines Day.
Feb 14, 2008

I met my husband in Garden Valley, Texas, on July 5th, 2001. Surrounded by plains made of red dirt and grass holding chiggers, I was walking alone, and then... I found him under an old oak tree. I'm no artist, and my stick figures are lopsided. I can't draw a straight line, and I'm not very artistic... but I can make a bento of an old oak tree, under a wide blue sky, surrounded by red dirt.
Sakura Blossoms Spokane- a Japanese interest club for women
The Laughing Otter- bento stuff mixed in with other stuff!

Kyoki

Postby Biggie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:41 am

Kyoki wrote:I know that it's not as beautiful as the other bento that have been submitted.

My bento went to work with my husband today, with this story carefully laid on top of the bento above. <snip>

I met my husband in Garden Valley, Texas, on July 5th, 2001. Surrounded by plains made of red dirt and grass holding chiggers, I was walking alone, and then... I found him under an old oak tree. I'm no artist, and my stick figures are lopsided. I can't draw a straight line, and I'm not very artistic... but I can make a bento of an old oak tree, under a wide blue sky, surrounded by red dirt.

Okay, call me sentimental, but that note totally made me cry. Your husband's a lucky man, no matter what your bentos look like, and I'm in love with the image of your small, growing family. Thank you for a lovely little cry on Valentine's Day!
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Postby MushMo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:08 am

Hello all. Everyone's bentos look so good! Mine's nowhere near as impressive, but here it is nonetheless:

Top Tier:
1 - Baked Renkon (Lotus Root) Chips (homemade and so yummy!)
2 - Naked Chicken Nuggets (a little worcestershire sauce in the heart for them)
3 - Molded and Dyed (in beet juice) quail egg

Bottom Tier:
1 - Homemade Carrot Cake
2 - Strawberry & Kiwi Picks
(buried under the parsley are two more quail eggs)

(More photos & recipe for the lotus root chips are on my LiveJournal blog - link in my sig)
~ Michelle
What do you mean, don't play with my food?

MushMo

Postby MommaSith » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:13 am

Biggie wrote:
Kyoki wrote:I know that it's not as beautiful as the other bento that have been submitted.

My bento went to work with my husband today, with this story carefully laid on top of the bento above. <snip>

Okay, call me sentimental, but that note totally made me cry. Your husband's a lucky man, no matter what your bentos look like, and I'm in love with the image of your small, growing family. Thank you for a lovely little cry on Valentine's Day!

Made me cry, too! That is absolutely beautiful!!!

MommaSith

Postby eventamy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:11 pm

My entry:
The Valentine's Day Bento I made for DD5.
Avocado maki with pink rice, strawberries, heart shaped cheese and pink molded rice cubes (some with hearts). I prepped the rice and cheese the night before and rolled the maki in the morning.
eventamy

Postby veganf » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 am

Here's mine...it was a quickie though:
...a strawberry; blueberries; a Lake Champlain dark chocolate heart; grilled chreez sandwich with tic-tac-toe made of ketchup, soy cheese & black olives; broccoli; peanuts.

Edited by QChan: I just posted your picture so everyone can see it
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/

veganf

• Website

Postby Amthezia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:25 am

Wondefull entries :D anymore valentine bento's??
Playing with your food is FUN - http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ry_state0= (then you have the automatic translated page (by google ;) )
Amthezia

Postby Biggie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:45 am

Amthezia wrote:Wondefull entries :D anymore valentine bento's??

I'm working on a thing about Bug's Valentine bento that I'll put up here, but it shouldn't be considered a contest entry (wouldn't be cool for me to enter, but I wanted to just throw it in the thread for fun).
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Postby Catherine Bennet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:11 am

Wow... you ladies did a WONDERFUL job. I don't think I can do any better. We are kinda celebrating VD late this year. We ended up with a flooded basement VD weekend so we kinda had a kink in the plans... I am STILL waiting for the basement to dryout. UGH!
Happily bentoing for my family....
Catherine Bennet

PreviousNext

Return to Bento of the Month Contest