Bento of the Month Contest: Speed (1/09)

Post your bento for the monthly theme, and come back to vote in the poll to decide on the best! Winners receive a bento-related prize.

Re: Bento of the Month Contest: Speed

Postby Biggie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi lunchboxmama, and welcome to the board! Yes, please go ahead and post your entry here. If I'm wrong, QChan might move it and rearrange things within the new sub-forum. Don't mind us, we're just organizing!
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Postby jerseygeekgirl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Hm... Hopefully I can have a speedy bento for my lunch on Tuesday. I'll see what I can do when I go grocery shopping. Mwahahaha.

jerseygeekgirl

Postby jewelmaker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:25 pm

This was my speediest bento this month. It took me about 10 minutes. For me the key to quick bentos is 1. using leftovers from dinner and 2. having some fruit and veggies prepped ahead of time in the fridge. I usually prep 3 to 4 days worth at a time and have them in sealed bowls in the fridge.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32488748@N06/3178925976/
jewelmaker

Postby QChan » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:49 pm

Yup all contest submissions should go in here.

And thanks for the submission jewelmaker.

QChan

Postby killerkitty » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:35 am

I've made this bento almost completely from scratch while still feeling dizzy after practice and still it has only taken 15 minutes! So I guess it qualifies...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33839937@N04/3205758791/

The trick was cooking everything at once: I threw the (very well washed) eggs in the cold water and cut everything up while waiting for the water to boil (2 minutes). Then I threw the saucage bits in the simmering water and waited until they opened up (30 seconds or so), took them out and threw the pasta in. These penne only take 8 minutes to boil so I had plenty of time to fill the little bottle with home-made spicy olive oil, put pepper on the fennel and arrange everthing in the lower tier. In fact, I even had some time to make a little face for the octodog! (See another thread for the many ways in which it went wrong...)

I could have made the pasta sauce in the meantime, too, but then I would have needed another pan and hence doubled the dishes. So instead once the pasta and the eggs were cooked and cooling, I directly re-used the pan to make the sauce out of chorizo sausage, tomatoe, broth and garlic. I had prepared everything while waiting for the pasta to cook. While the chorizo saucage bits fried I peeled the eggs and put them into egg-molds (didn't work well, the eggs were too small).

To make the sauce only took three minutes or so, basically just until the tomatoe was mushy and boiling. By that time the pasta had cooled down enough to put it in the box. I packed the chunky parts of the sauce on top and filled a small container with the sauce to pour it right before eating. Since I make my bentos completely in the evening, I could leave the lower tier and the sauce on the counter to cool overnight.

Oh, and I already had cut-out carrots and cheese because I do those once a week and then just use them up in my bento! I don't think that being stored in slices does the carrots any bad.

So, 15 minutes including packing and washing the pan! Quite stressful though...

killerkitty

Postby QChan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:07 pm

great thanks for the entry!

QChan

Postby Milamom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:03 pm

10 min lunch. The fettuccine alfredo was one of the packets where you boil ½cup milk, add contents & stir. I added red pepper flakes for flavor as well as color. The edamame was a quick pan fry. I sauteed pickled ginger and shallots tossed in the bean and added a tiny bit of soy.

Milamom

Postby QChan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:41 pm

Great looking bento!

QChan

Postby jerseygeekgirl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:55 pm

http://flickr.com/photos/peachymomoko/3212883049/

Picture's none too pretty, I took it about 6:20 in the morning. Yeah. I gotta be out of the house by 7:30 at the latest, so I try to make my bento before I do anything else.

It took me a little less than ten minutes to throw everything together because I raided the fridge for staples that I like to have. I've got a left over biscuit, my favorite chicken almond salad, mushrooms from Hades, cut strawberries, and the only one thing that I did have to cook, broccoli bites.

The biscuit and mushrooms from Hades were left over from dinner the night before. The chicken almond salad is a fridge staple because it tastes very nice on a sandwich (to me, at least). The strawberries were on sale when I went shopping so they are the family fruit for the week. Those are sitting in a bowl, cut and clean, waiting to be eaten. Anyway...

Broccoli bites cook in two minutes so I started on getting what I could in there before the microwave went off. While they cooled, I got everything snug in it's own place and finally put the broccoli bites in. Simple enough and tasty enough.

Nothing special, but good for me when I have little time to get my butt in gear.

jerseygeekgirl

Postby Ravendas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:19 am

Most of my bentos are speed bentos since I'm usually trying to toss them together before I head out the door in the morning...but this one is one of my favorites because it turned out so pretty.

http://ravensbentos.files.wordpress.com ... 092508.jpg

It's soma noodles with fake crab, hard-boiled eggs and edamame...and chocolate banana Pocky in the lid. The hard-boiled eggs were made the night before, so while the noodles were boiling, I peeled and sliced the eggs, unrolled the crab and cut out the leaf shapes. Then I rinsed the noodles, put them in the box and arranged everything. Took about 10 minutes start to finish since the noodles only take about 3 minutes to boil. Note to myself and/or anyone who tries to reproduce this: use some kind of oil with the nodles (sesame would be yummy) and bring a seperate bowl to mix it all together. I forgot these and the noodles ended up as one big tangled mass that was a real pain to try and eat out of the box.
Adrienne
aka Ravendance/Ravendas
Bento Blog: Have Bento, Will Travel
http://ravensbentos.wordpress.com
Personal Blog: Just Breathe...
http://ravendance.wordpress.com

Ravendas

• Website

PreviousNext

Return to Bento of the Month Contest