Voting for future Bento of the Month contests

Suggestions, site how-to and troubleshooting

Voting for future Bento of the Month contests

Postby Biggie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 am

In light of recent concerns about the Bento of the Month contest, the moderators and I put our heads together to come up with ideas for deciding future winners. This contest was meant to be a light and fun exercise for board members, and we understand that some are concerned about getting-out-the-vote activities. Some of that may be happening because of the prizes.

Non-members cannot vote in forum polls, which I don't want to change. But any competition decided by open vote is fair game for campaigning, so bear that in mind.

Here are the options we considered:

1. Do nothing. Leave it that only members can vote, continue to offer prizes.
    2. Stop offering prizes, but keep the forum poll to decide the winner.
    3. Introduce a two-tier winning system. One would be popular vote (via the forum poll) and wouldn't get any special prize. The other would be judge's decision, and would receive a prize if we have one lined up for that month. (Granted, this is more of an administrative hassle.)
    4. In order to vote in the forum poll, require that members have made at least one post on the board beforehand. (This would be managed by some behind-the-scenes magic by Site Techie verdilak.)
We're leaning toward the last option, requiring that members have at least one post on the board before they're able to vote in forum polls. Now, we know that some people are lurkers by nature, but requiring at least one post would hopefully ensure that the contests are decided by the actual board community itself. People could introduce themselves in the Self Introduction section, or chime in on an existing topic.

What do you all think? Are there other options that we haven't thought of? Are we barking up the wrong tree, or does this sound reasonable? I'd like to get your input and make a final decision by Monday, March 9 so that we can kick off the next Bento of the Month contest.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Re: Voting for future Bento of the Month contests

Postby Savannah&TarazMom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 am

I like option 4. I always thought it should be something for the active (even if only a little) community.
Savannah&TarazMom

Postby TNT » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Vote for option 4 here with 1 suggestion.

Make that 1 post in the last month or 3 months or something. It's moot right now becuase the boards are new, but in a year or two it will matter. I picture someone saying "hi" in a dead intro thread and never posting again, coming back once a month to vote.

And now I feel like total cyber cynic, but this place is too much fun to let something like this get in the way.
TNT

Postby Fallstar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:12 pm

Agree with TNT on option 4, as well as the 1-in-3 suggestion. And no, you're not being a cynic...it just levels the playing field a bit. :)

Fallstar

Postby Otoro » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 am

I vote for option 4!
I find this absolutely unfair for people who tried their best to win, but they lost because they did not have a fan base.
So yea... Option 4 with one suggestion, you must be a member of the board for at least 48 hours to vote.
http://www.xanga.com/Otoro

Otoro

• Website

Postby time_on_fire » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 pm

I really enjoy these contests, and I appreciate the thought that is going into these rules, especially to keep the community atmosphere.

I like option 4, as well as the 1-in-3 suggestion. as well as the 48 hr requirement. But sheesh,wouldn't that be an admin hassle?
time_on_fire

Postby Biggie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 pm

time_on_fire wrote:I like option 4, as well as the 1-in-3 suggestion. as well as the 48 hr requirement. But sheesh,wouldn't that be an admin hassle?

I dunno, it depends on what kind of mod verdilak has been able to find. I'll check how much we can fine-tune voting requirements on the back end beyond a simple post count. It may be a moot point, but ya never know.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)

Biggie
Site Admin

Postby Ahorsesoul » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 pm

I agree, 4, you should be sorta active if you want your vote to count. I know a lot of people like to lurk but they could post once to show they are an active person of the group.
Word for 2009-Christmas: Living each day filled with the Christmas Spirit.
Life happens even if you aren't ready.
Scrappin Not Nappin in 2009
Ahorsesoul

Postby QChan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm just letting everyone know that bento of the month will resume NEXT monday, which is May 16th, we need to get all of this cleared up and set up before we continue.

Any questions just talk to myself or biggie.

QChan

Postby Lethargic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Whoops. Didn't see this thread. I like option #4. I definitely want to keep prizes in when possible. It just seems more official and just really fun. I hope to be able to donate some more prizes soon too. :)

I liked the idea of having to of been a member for a certain amount of time if that's tech-possible. Maybe even more than 48 hrs. I prefer that the people deciding/voting are activeish members of the forum and not friends/family/random people signing up for the forum JUST to vote for someones bento. That just seems like a waste of usernames/members or whatever too. I like the idea of all of us sharing this common interest of bentos and packed lunches and things and to sort of "keep it in the family" when voting.

I think so far the contests have been great, you guys are doing a great job so keep up the good work! :D

Lethargic

Next

Return to Technical Support