what can I do with kugel?

Talk about all kinds of cooking

what can I do with kugel?

Postby rubidoux » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:53 am

A question I never thought I'd ask. :lol: I'm wondering if you guys think it would work to cook it in small molds or muffin cups and/or freeze it. And if I freeze it, how to thaw? I think my little guy would love to have this for his lunch -- I think it would be relatively nutritous for him with some fruit and maybe a few cubes of ham and a little salad. It's so hard for me to get a significant number of caloried in him and this looks relatively high in cals.

I'm not planning on doing super artistic bentos, but I can see this in a star mold with a star of ham (thinking a star cookie cutter would work with those no nitrate ham steaks from costco) on top and maybe a piece of pineapple on top of that. 8-)

Here's the link to the recipe I'm thinking of (minus the cornflake topping, don't think I'd bother with that):
http://kosherfood.about.com/od/dairymaindishes/r/kugel_noodle_d.htm
rubidoux

Re: what can I do with kugel?

Postby Pangolin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:23 am

Having eaten a lot of kugel in my lifetime, I think it would either bake fine in silicone cups or be easy enough to cut with cookie cutters after baking. If you bake it in paper or silicone baking cups, you'll just have to refigure the baking time, given that the surface area and volume will be much smaller in baking cups than in a 9x13 baking dish.

There are a lot of versions of kugel, and although potato is very common, I really really really love noodle kugel with raisins (minus the cheese) mmm.....

(But, the thought of ham on top of kugel just seems, well, wrong...sorry, but kosher foods and ham just shouldn't be mixed! :) Now if it was lox instead of ham, then you'd have the breakfast of champions!)
Pangolin

• Website

Return to General Cooking Discussion