Sandwich and Pasta Ideas

Talk about all kinds of cooking

Sandwich and Pasta Ideas

Postby gfbentomom » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:33 am

I'm in need of some new ideas for sandwiches and pasta combos. I thought it would be nice to compile a list so I'll start with our staples.
If you don't mind, please be specific with condiments, etc. all the little touches, it may help me and others get some new ideas and add variety to the same old same old.

Sandwiches:
*tuna w/ mayo, lettuce leaves
*grilled ham and cheese(usually swiss, cheddar American or provolone)
*salami and provolone cheese
*turkey and cheese(usually swiss or provolone) and lettuce leaves
*our bread options are limited being GF but we recently tried ham and provolone on raisin bread and kiddo liked it

Pasta:
*penne w/ ham, green peas, olive oil, butter , sometimes a bit of garlic and parmesan on the side
*penne w/ pepperoni and broccoli, olive oil and parmesan cheese on the side
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Re: Sandwich and Pasta Ideas

Postby smoke » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 am

Horseradish is a great way to spice up a meat sandwich. You can either buy it fresh and grate what you're going to use that morning, or you can buy it in jars. There is also a mustard that has horseradish in it.

I like sandwiches that start with a bisected sausage.

There are several variations on chicken salad out there. Or you can see if your son likes pulled pork.

Meats go well with fruit jellies. Have you ever put cranberry sauce on a turkey sandwich?

A monte cristo is a turkey, ham, and cheese sandwich on french toast. The deep-fried version at Bennigan's was served with powdered sugar and raspberry sauce.

There is always the classic BLT.

Do they make GF tortillas? Sandwiches taste different when they're turned into wraps.

You could always make "stuffed cabbage" packets and hide them inside a sandwich. (Cabbage, hamburger, tomato sauce, onion. Perhaps potato, barley, or rice.)

Is the hummus allergy because he can't have beans? Right now I'm starting to dream up a sandwich spread made from bbq baked beans. Green or yellow peas might work well as a "fake hummus" spread.

For pasta, there are "stir-fry" vegetables. I just get the frozen kit. A small amount of soy sauce or ginger should pack a lot of flavor.

Another pasta dish may include squash, eggplant, and stewed tomatoes.

Could always go in a different direction and see if it's cool to pack a classic side salad. (Iceburg lettuce, tomato, whatever else goes in the basic side salad.) Then you can start hiding "fun" things like fruits or cheese in the lower layers.

Actually, raisens and other dried fruits are probably a good way to do "stealth" vegetables.

I just thought of another. If you have an "applesauce cake" recipe that he can eat, try variations with healthier vegetables, like squash. I'm not sure if there's a way to cover up green in a cake.

Sorry, I probably swung wildly around the topic on that one.
smoke

Postby Pangolin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:41 am

As I was typing I got a little off-track, but I tried to stick with the idea of sandwiches as the main dish.

It sounds like deli meats are okay, in which case, don't forget about:
-Roast beef (personally I like the version done from London broil, but any type is good. The pinker the center, the jucier.)
-Pastrami (there's a turkey version out there too) - it has a kick of it's own, which is a plus
-Corned Beef
-Honey ham
-Turkey (not a favorite here, but okay mixed with other meats)
-Salami / Pepperoni

-Horseradish cheese (my mom loves this stuff, it's a swiss cheese that has horseradish in it - she finds it at the deli counter of our local Anderson's, but I'm sure it's available other places)

(When my dad was a kid, he used to take sardine sandwiches to school for lunch... it really grossed out the other kids! My brother was fond of smoked baby octopus, which elicited the same grossed-out comments from his lunch buddies!)

Mixing meats in a sandwich can really change the flavors to liven things up a bit, so can using more than one kind of cheese at a time.

Oh, other options:

-Smoked clams (one of my favorites)
-cream cheese
-tofu in slices and grilled/pan-fried
-Peanut or almond butter with jelly/jam/preserves/honey
-surimi or real crab meat (maybe like a california roll except on bread instead of rolled into sushi)
-scrambled eggs or eggbeaters (maybe on bread with ham?)

Any and all of these are good on sandwiches. As for toppings, I've been known to use:
-Spinach (in place of lettuce)
-Pickles
-Tomatoes
-Avocado

Other veggies and fruits on the side - I prefer my veggies fresh and raw if possible:
-carrots
-cucumber
-zucchini
-snap peas
-bell pepper slices (sometimes with sweet and sour sauce to dip them in)
-olives (black, green, and all the exciting ones found at a salad bar or in jars)

Perhaps something like fruit leather would be more fun and acceptable to the peers. But, if he's getting lots of vegetables and fruit at home in his other meals, maybe there's no point in pushing it at lunch. I know middle schoolers can be a little mean about others lunches - although I have no real idea why. By high school, that all calms down.

There's also the condiment options like:
-relish
-ketsup
-mayo
-mustard
-vinegar
-salad dressings - I like putting italian on ham and turkey sanwiches
-A-1 or worchestshire, soy sauce
-cole-slaw on the sandwhich?

Oh, and there's always the sneaky trick of making brownies that have the spinach in them. (Or black beans for those who can have them.)
Pangolin

• Website

Postby gfbentomom » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and favs. It's interesting to see differnent combos esp. when others have had different cultural experiences.

smoke,
Yeah, hummus is out due to a bean allergy and he is advised not to consume too much garlic due to an allergy. We can get GF tortillas. Haven't tried using them for wraps. That might be a good idea for us to try, Have to road test new things at home first ;) When it's closer to the holidays this year I will try to remember to take your suggestion to put cranberry sauce on his turkey sand. He does love cranberry sauce and you've remeinded me that it is good on turkey sand. I have been lowcarb for long enough now that I am starting to forget things like that. LOL

pangolin,

I'm curious about the smoked oyster sand. How do you make it? Where do you get the oysters. Kiddo might like that but would never take it to school. In elementary school he sometimes took baby octopus or cuttlefish but wouldn't dare now. I was hoping that this will ease up by HS. That's good to hear.

On another note, I saw a bacon cheddar cheese advertized by a mainstream brand(forgot which one)but haven't found it anywhere yet. Thought that would be good on a sandwich!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
gfbentomom

Postby Pangolin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Honestly, I used to just open up the can or smoked clams (or oysters) and put them between bread and eat them. There are a bunch of different brands out there, and I think I've had a couple different ones. There's probably something that goes well with them, although I can think what at the moment - but I was always a meat-and-bread kind of sandwich eater. (No condiments or veggies other than pickles until I was adult.)

The clams and oysters come in a little can like sardines and smoked baby octopus. Although they don't carry them at the local Kroger (weird) they do have them at the Meijer's store. Apparently, you can also order them from Amazon, which I
personally think is a little weird, but if I couldn't find them somewhere locally, I'd probably break down and order them!

As a side notes, any of the smalled canned things, like smoked clams, oysters, sardines, baby octopus last near forever if unopened. They work well as a bento stashed item and don't have to be too carefully temp controlled, so a corner in a cabinet or pantry would be fine. I've been known to eat a whole can myself (probably not a good thing to do) - there's not so much in the cans that they'd go to waste.
Pangolin

• Website

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 am

Well, tomorrow we are going to road test one new pasta combo I came up with;

sliced panfried cheesy weiners, corkscrew pasta, steamed broccoli all tossed together with just a bit of butter if needed

I'm glad I can come here and brainstorm with you all :)
gfbentomom

Postby elenacala » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:41 pm

what about making a GF (and less fat) verzion of a philly cheese steak? you oculd even makea philly cheese steak quesadilla or wrap, jsut saute up some onion mushroom and 2 different color bell peppers, put some motzerella cheese with it and i sometimes use the roast beef from the deli counter instead of buying expesive cuts of meat that i have to cook and then slice thin. as far as tuna goes what about making tuna or salmon patties, and taking a bit of mayo a small amount of lemon juice and some dill to put on them. my brother in law makes this awesome chicken salad, it has chicken celery, fresh minched taragon, golden raisins instead of the usual black ones and then you put in cashews and of course the mayo salt and pepper. it would go good in a lettuce cup or wrap.

what about making fried chicken tenders? i used to let my chicken tenders marinate in lemon juice and then i would dredge them in a flour salt/pepper and parmersian cheese mixture ( although in your case you could use rice flour intead of regular flour. my GF friend swears by it) then fry them up in a little bit of oil and they go good with any kind of dipping sauce.

As far as pasta goes my DH and I like tortalini although i am not sure if they have GF tortalini or not but any other pasta would work well too. We make up the pasta toss it with some pesto then chop grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes in half and use a can of artichoke hearts and then saute it till the tomatoes and artichokes are warm. What about making an alfredo sauce with corn starch instead of flour, and broccolli chicken and GF gonnochi is very good also if your looking for a hot sandwicdh filling try using shredded chicken, cilantro shredded chedder a little bit of mayo to hold it together and a can of diced green chilis or roasted pablano peppers chopped, salt and pepper of course I like ot eat my hot chicken salad on a cheesy jalapano bun but feel free to omit it.
elenacala

Postby gfbentomom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:05 am

Thank you elenacala for sharing your ideas!
gfbentomom

Return to General Cooking Discussion