I don’t know how to cook eggs

Talk about all kinds of cooking

I don’t know how to cook eggs

Postby Folly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Even though I am an experienced cook, I don’t eat eggs, and don’t have a clue about the basics. I even have to pull out a cookbook every time I boil an egg for molding -- and then I have to ask someone else if it turned out!

This morning I made a 1-egg tamagoyaki for my husband’s bento. I followed a recipe – all the way up to the point of the fold. I used an oil-brushed non-stick Japanese tamagoyaki pan on low heat. The egg mxture stuck and wouldn’t fold. It looked so bad that I put it into an onigiri mold to mask my mistake. And it was so wet and oily that I had to pat it dry with a paper towel.

Can anyone give me some tips about working with eggs? Or is it the pan? This is also my first non-stick pan.
Last edited by Folly on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Folly

Re: I don’t know how to cook eggs

Postby smoke » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:23 pm

I favor a well-seasoned cast-iron pan when I make eggs, preferably right after removing some bacon from it.

I was reading a blog linked through foodgawker recently about the perfect scrambled eggs. They say to heat a dry pan up to a good temperature, then melt butter until it bubbles. Hot pan and hot fat are probably a good start. I tend to avoid non-solid fats, or very lightly introduce them to the pan.

I'm not good at hard-boiled eggs, just very lucky. I start with cold water, add the eggs, bring it up to boiling, kill the heat while covering them. Then I let the eggs sit in the hot water until I think about them, then throw them into cold water. One egg from the batch gets ripped apart to make sure that the cooking was successful.

Oven recipes seem the most dead-simple when working with eggs. Go quiche instead of soffle.

There is also a personal preference about eggs. My husband and I both think the other has a disgusting perception of how done an egg should be. (He likes fried eggs to be liquidy enough to dip bread into, I prefer my eggs hard and rubbery with no trace of fluid.)
smoke

Re: I don’t know how to cook eggs

Postby RyeBlossom » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 pm

For hard boiled eggs, I put them in plenty of cold water and a bit of salt, bring to boil on high heat, turn down to medium-high, and let it boil for at least one hour. This way, the yolk is nice and smooth and it cuts down on the odor. You can also let it boil for an hour, and then let it simmer, covered, for 4-5 hours. That improves on the taste even more.

If it makes you feel better, I once heard Bobby Flay (from the Food Network) say, that sometimes, when someone comes for an interview (looking for a job in one of his restaurants), he asks him to make an omelette. He said that it looks simple, but it's something fast cooking, and very easy to get wrong...

Add a teaspoon of water to an egg, and mix well. Get the pan hot enough (a drop of water should sizzle), and add a tiny bit of oil, or brush with oil. Lower the heat to medium. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. scramble it right away, and then let it cook for a while, until it looks almost done, and then you can turn it or fold it. If making a scrambled egg, pour the egg mixture in, let it cook for few seconds, and scramble. Keep doing it until it looks done but still a tiny bit wet.
I hope it helps.
RyeBlossom

Return to General Cooking Discussion