Adzuki Beans

Talk about all kinds of cooking

Adzuki Beans

Postby kawaii09 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Hey all,
I came across a packet of Small Red Beans at Walmart and I just wondered if these would be Adzuki Beans?? The pack just says Small Red Beans and nothing else, so I don't know. I really want to make my own version of taiyaki and I want to fill them with the Red Bean Paste. Any help would be Great :D
KAWAII
kawaii09

Re: Adzuki Beans

Postby Pangolin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Here's a description of what adzuki beans look like:

...Dry adzuki beans are small dark red, oval beans approximately 5 mm in diameter. They have a distinctive white ridge along one side. ...

If you can't tell, or aren't sure, I'd say try it and see what happens...if it tastes good, go for it, and if not, then scrap the batch and look for other beans elsewhere...

However, you can buy red bean paste already made for you at Asian grocery stores. (And probably online as well.)
Pangolin

• Website

Azuki Beans

Postby RyeBlossom » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am

I finally got to make some paste with it.
The beans have a white line instead of the white oval shape most beans have. When cooked, the smell and taste reminded me somewhat of black-eyed peas.
I'm not an expert on beans, but to be honest, I like better black beans. If it doesn't work out for you to find azuki beans, try using black beans. It won't be the same, but it's pretty good and more available (not to mention cheaper).
RyeBlossom

Re: Adzuki Beans

Postby connmiell » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi! I've also been in a similar situation in the grocery store, looking for adzuki beans but struggling with the rather vague 'red bean' description. However, packages or cans of beans labeled 'red beans' or 'small read beans' are NOT the same as adzuki beans. I was able to find adzuki beans at my local whole foods, in the bulk section, labeled clearly as 'adzuki beans,' not red beans. I would try other whole foods-type stores or check in the bulk foods section at your local grocery store to make sure you can find the correct kind of bean. Good luck and good cooking :)
connmiell

Return to General Cooking Discussion