Gluten-Free Breading Ideas

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Gluten-Free Breading Ideas

Postby Pangolin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:56 am

In another thread Who's Gluten-Free?, one member mentioned doing breaded foods that needed to be gluten-free. I did a little searching, and came up with this blog post: http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/gluten-free-chicken-tenders-breading-things-gluten-free from Gluten Free Gobsmacked.

Some of the ideas for gluten-free breading are things I've had, others look like they would work fine. My husband just made us a great dinner with chicken encrusted with corn flakes and almonds, and it was awesome.
I grew up eating corn flake dressing rather than bread dressing, and my mom makes the dressing two ways - one actually under the roasted chicken to soak up the juices, and another just baked in a bowl so there is less fat. Both are good - but the dressing that comes from under the chicken is better as far as I'm concerned! (If anyone wants the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.)

Another option is to add flavorings and spices to cornstarch and toss your chicken in that, then cook in oil in a skillet. We've made orange chicken this way and it comes out great.
Last edited by Pangolin on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed Link
Pangolin

• Website

Re: Gluten-Free Breading Ideas

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:26 am

In place of panko we have worked out a breading that we like just as much. Take a loaf of the EnerG bread and process it in the food processor until flakey, fresh breadcrumbs emerge. Pour it into a plastic baggie and freeze. No need to defrost before using. EnerG bread is not poular as a bread but the texture and flavor work very well for breadcrumbs and stuffing/dressing. We've done it with other breads too but some can produce hard breadcrumbs instead of light crisp ones. I couldn't see the link above but some people use Rice Chex(the brand name by General Mills, all others are not necessarily GF) cereal, potato chips(GF brand), mashed potato flakes(GF brand) etc.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 pm

I found the page you were referring to Pangolin. It is a good resource. I hop you don't mind me posting a new link. http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/?s=breading
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
gfbentomom

Postby varenikje » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:23 pm

These ideas sound great for breading shrimp! Maybe I will get my "shrimp filled, looks-like-a-fish" sushi after all! :D
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby Megan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:44 pm

The absolutely easiest is to place some corn or rice chex in a bag and use a rolling pin up and down until it's the right consistency. I also will keep my GF crusts from the bread I make at home and put it in a bag in the freezer (you can do this with the heels too) and when I need bread crumbs I toast the bits and pieces in an oven at 400 for 15 minutes or so. Then I pulse in a food processor until it looks good.

I also think Ener-G has the best prepackaged bread crumbs around. Great flavor and texture.
Megan

Postby varenikje » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm

I am sure I have rice chex here in the house. Do you mix the bread crumbs and chex together?
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

I use the Chex in things like meatloaf and meatballs. I do keep that last bit at the bottom of the bag that is too fine or broken up to eat as cereal and add it to the "breadcrumbs" container. Any little bit of anything is fair game! I also do like Megan does with the crust or other bits of bread-minus the toasting. I process them while they are soft, because some have gotten too hard when they dried-literally like bricks! I keep all the various types of breading separate.
gfbentomom

Return to Special Diets