High Calorie Lunches

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: High Calorie Lunches

Postby hippie_mama » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 pm

I never would have even looked at this thread a couple of months ago, as i'm a chubby lady myself, but i've recently increased my protein and fat intake (while lowering my carbs) to *lose* weight. And it's working, strangely enough.

What i've learned from this diet is that not all fats are created equally--you want to eat lots of Omega 3s while avoiding the Omega 6s (which you guys might already know, but it hasn't been mentioned here yet). Good fats are found in free-range and grass-fed meats (commercial meats have Omega 6s instead) and eggs, fish, avocados, nuts and nut butters, coconut oil, etc. I personally avoid fried foods unless i'm making them at home, because they're usually cooked in vegetable oils, which are less than nutritious, not to mention the breading.

I've been feeding the kids the same things i eat now, and they are still skinny as ever, but they have more energy and seem to get stronger by the day.
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:23 pm

hippie mama,

I did not know that about the beef. Interesting.

I am not at all suprized at the results of your dietary changes. I have diabetes and manage it very successfully with a similar diet. Congrats on the positive results and good for you! You have lost weight because of the lower insulin requirements of such a diet. Insulin is the fat building hormone. And the kids are more energetic because of the more stable blood sugar levels that such a diet results in. You will all be SO much better off healthwise for the changes! I WISH I had known what I know now, sooner. I would like very much for my kiddo to be on a diet like that. I think it would really benefit him. He craves carbs and sugar but I find it a challenge. Much of what I eat is not very kid friendly although I try to find some middle ground with kiddo's diet. If you have any kid friendly suggestions or encouragement, please do share.

Cutting out or back on grains benefit many and help them to grow stronger because many are intolerant to gluten. There are many who have discovered their problem with gluten from their results of going low-carb.

I have the opposite problem of most in that I need to gain weight but I will put this advice out there for any who are in a similar boat and want to keep their carbs low. To gain weight on a low-carb diet, one needs to keep calories up- plenty of fats and also keep protein up. Keeping protein up actually works well. Dr. Bernstein, who's advice I follow, recommends increasing protein for his diabetic patients who follow a very low-carb diet and want to maintain or gain weight.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby varenikje » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 pm

This is starting to sound more complicated than I am able to handle.

So, omega 3's are found in free range and grass fed meats but omega 6's in commercial meat? Why would it be different depending on what they are fed? I would also wonder where in the world I would find free range anything in a pretty unpopulated area in Nebraska. Maybe I should eat more fish, eggs, avocados, nuts and nut butters? My weight seems to be holding still (a good thing) but I don't necessarily feel like I have a whole lot of energy.
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby hippie_mama » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:39 am

Very basically, commercial cows are fed grains and soy products instead of grass. Grass has the right amino acid ratios to create Omega 3s when stored in the cow's body as fat. Grains and soy are stored in the cow as Omega 6s. So, when you cut into a steak, you're getting the good fats if it was fed a grassy diet, and bad fats if it was fed grains. There's more to it, i'm sure, but that's my simplified understanding of how the science works. There's also issues like antibiotics, hormones, etc. that are usually less pervasive with more natural and animal-friendly sources.

A lot of people order their grass-fed and free-range meats online. It's not cheap. It is suggested that if you're limited to conventional meat, just trim off the fat or eat leaner cuts, to avoid the badness but still get the proteins from the solid parts. Things are slowly becoming more available though; Wal-Mart's store-brand milk is growth-hormone-free (which was unheard of, at least where i live, just a couple of years ago), they have several types of eggs that are grainfed (their Omega-3 label, Eggland's Best, etc.), and their organic produce section seems to have a few more things every time i shop there. I hope healthier meat catches on in larger stores like that next.
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby Pangolin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 am

Fish is also a good source of Omega-3's. Salmon, herring, mackeral, sardines, and tuna are good choices. Freshwater fish have fewer Omega-3's in general as compared to fish from the sea.

(The American Heart Association suggests two meals a week of fish, for a total of about 6 ounces. The research suggests that doing this can reduce your risk of dying of a heart attack by a third or more.)
Pangolin

• Website

Postby RyeBlossom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:09 am

Indeed, I've found that when I put butter on my bread or in my hot cereal (when I have that) in the morning, I feel satisfied sooner, and longer. So I don't eat as much bread AND I don't feel hungry for a longer time!
RyeBlossom

Previous

Return to Special Diets