High Calorie Lunches

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: High Calorie Lunches

Postby RyeBlossom » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:27 pm

My baby has been gaining weight- Hurray! ^_^

Something that worked for me and might interest others:
I tried to tempt him with sweet things for a long time. Then I tried more spicy things. It didn't work.
After looking up online tips for increasing appetite and anorexia, I've found several things that are supposed to help increase appetite, and one of them was a diet of orange juice for few days (I didn't think he'd care for ginger and lime syrup and such).
I didn't get him on a diet of only orange juice, but I gave him lots and lots of it for few weeks, and it worked :)
I tried sweet food, spicy food, but it didn't occur to me to try *sour* food!
It helped a lot as he eats now with more appetite, and eats more. I still give him scandical in stuff, and add cereal and protein powder to his milk in the morning, but I can see that he developed an appetite in general (and it makes mama so happy! :D ).
Now that the winter is coming, I'll be able to give him lots of fresh oranges, grapefruit and the like.

I hope it'll help someone :)
RyeBlossom

Postby Biggie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:33 pm

That's great news, RyeBlossom! Sour food wouldn't have occurred to me either -- how funny that it appealed to him.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby chameleon089 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks for posting all these tips. My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out how to get him to gain weight. He's always been thin, but has recently lost 20lbs going from a sedentary lifestyle to training in a martial art several days a week. The activity has made him loose the bit of fat he had, and I think his body is trying to put on muscle - but nothing seems to be happening. He's 6'3" and only about 150. I only train a bit more than him, but I've packed on 20lbs of muscle in the last year. My theory is that the way he eats (a lot but only twice a day) is combining with a super speed metabolism and using up his food before the body can build anything with it. I think we're going to look into protein shake powder, blended with whole milk, silken tofu, and fruit for flavor, for breakfast and maybe one other meal. All of the other things that have been posted are going to help us plan high cal lunches too. Thanks again!
chameleon089

Postby RyeBlossom » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Did you go to the doctor? He shouldn't be losing weight! Check to see the levels of whatever are right.

Besides that, you can look up online about anorexia and lack of appetite, and you'll find more things to help increase appetite (if that's his problem). I couldn't use too many tips to make him eat more, because it's not like with an adult who'd be able to force himself to eat a bit more...

Other things he could try: not eat much in the morning, avoid caffein as much as possible (it could suppress his appetite), eat an energy bar before training, and a protein bar after training. It's very important to have some protein after training.
RyeBlossom

Postby myremi » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:27 pm

chamelon089, maybe your BF has to eat breakfast. My PT (Personal Trainer) was telling me that breakfast and lunch should be the big meals and dinner should be small. She also mentioned to sleep by 10 pm every day so that the physical body repairs takes places at 10 pm - 2 am (optimum time) and the mental body repairs at 2 am - 6 am.

I'm not so sure about protein shakes as it needs a combination of other lifestyle changes to make it work. Having some bodybuilder friends, they say that it's not a single magic fix but it does help them.
myremi

Postby varenikje » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:08 am

Wow! I just found this thread and it is quite the eye opener! :shock: I have been having friends tell me that I need to eat more and sometimes I will lose 4 or 5 pounds, for (it seems like) no reason at all. But I don't seem to gain 4 or 5 pounds :? But neither do I seem to be wasting away (I weigh about 120 lbs and am 5'3" tall).

I will admit, that food generally doesn't taste that great to me. It has helped making bento because then my lunch looks a little better to eat and I think it is more nutritionally balanced. So at least what I am eating does have the nutrients that I should be taking in. And bringing a lunch that looks appealing gets me to actually eat. Maybe this is what happens when you often eat lunch in a hospital? :lol:
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby Pangolin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 pm

I just found another idea to try out:

You Bar makes custom protein bars, cereal, shakes, trail mix, and cookies all to your specs, so you can choose what goes into them and what to leave out. They look a little expensive, but if you are really looking for a solution to a protein bar as a snack or meal replacement without too much sugar and such, these might be worth a try.
Pangolin

• Website

Postby varenikje » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Hmm... sounds like a possibility, but the link doesn't seem to be working for me. BTW, my weight seems to be holding steady! :)
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby Pangolin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 am

varenikje wrote:Hmm... sounds like a possibility, but the link doesn't seem to be working for me. BTW, my weight seems to be holding steady! :)

Thanks for the heads-up... the link is now fixed! :D
Pangolin

• Website

Postby varenikje » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Yes, the You Bars look very good! I have been buying granola bars at the grocery store,
just so long as they do not list wheat as an ingredient. But probably ingredients like oats
in such a bar, have wheat mixed in whether anyone likes it or not. The bars are kind of
expensive, though. I will have to think on this a bit. Thanks for the information!
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets