High Calorie Lunches

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

High Calorie Lunches

Postby stephljones » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:27 pm

This may seem strange to some of us, who use the bento boxes to portion control and watch our caloric intake....

but, some need extra calories every day!

My youngest daughter had Cystic Fibrosis, and always needed extra calories...we would slather butter on EVERYTHING!!!!

My older daughter, 17, is very under-weight as well. (5'3" and 86 pounds)
She is not ill, just very, very thin! (and has always been!)

Our goal is to pack her healthy, well balanced lunches, that also contain a higher calorie count.

Anyone else trying to pack those calories in? It may seem easy when you are struggling to loose weight...but, it is a challenge when trying to gain weight too!!

TODAY'S HIGH CALORIE TREAT:
Leftover Lamb Stew and the potatoes...The lamb shoulders I used were pretty fatty and the potatoes had soaked up a lot of that fat and flavor. Cheese was also on the menu...Cheese and cherry tomatoes on sticks.
stephljones

Re: High Calorie Lunches

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 pm

stephljones wrote:some need extra calories every day!
it is a challenge when trying to gain weight too!!

Yes! I am one who needs more calories than the average person to just maintain my featherlight weight and I am trying to gain! I am limited now by medically necessary dietary restrictions. What I do reflects my restrictions-no gluten, sugar, minimal dairy and eggs and very low carb. Now I often think of fats as a food group(I didn't before) and try to get a portion at each meal. I try to balance plant and animal sources. Avacados are a staple. I just wish they were cheaper here! Anyway, I have tried to lightly coat them in lemon juice to prevent browning, with success. I'd love to hear other's tips. Crispy bacon and all-beef franks, and nuts, pumkin seeds are also things that I regularly consume. Macadamia's in particular are quite high in calories-a little pricier but you get a good bang for your buck in the calorie department. P.B. or other nut butters are good too. A little very dark(80-90%) chocolate with some unsweetened, nut butter to dip it in is a nice treat for me. I "bread" chicken strips dipped in egg, then Kraft parmesan cheese and deep fry. Even my son, who doesn't have the restrictions I do, loves it and it holds up fine in a bento. Because of my portion limitation, I eat 4 scheduled meals a day in order to keep up the calories. Taking a bento helps me get those meals in when I am busy and out and about that time of day and I am pretty strict about not missing that 4th meal(at afternoon snack time). Believe it or not, plenty of protein can help, even for those of us with significant restrictions, to gain weight. Consider adding another ounce or two to each of her meals, depending on how much she's already consuming. I have goal of a certain number of ounces of meat or grams of protein per meal. There's also nothing wrong with full fat yogurt and eggs. It's all about balance. I balance the fats with plenty of simply prepared veggies and processed or fatty meats with lots of natural and lean meats. Where you get in trouble is when you overdo on refined carbs. Some hand weights-even small ones, can help build some muscle on scrawney arms without burning off too many calories! Good luck!

I relate to the butter. I have always liked a lightly dressed salad but have taken to drowning my lettuce with a healthy dressing or olive oil :lol:
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:10 pm

My 6yr old son is also very thin and we try to get more calories in. Being young, he can't (or doesn't at least) eat large portions, so I started fattening up things he already would eat. Ex:
I would get a whole egg in one slice of french toast.
Mix condensed full fat milk with oatmeal.
We keep a high calorie trail mix (his favorite is peanuts, raisons, and M&Ms) for a snack available all the time.
He gets a small bowl of ice cream at bed time (witch also helped us get in enough dairy since he's not a cheese or milk fan).
I really limit the high sugar foods though.
To get more food down in one meal, we limit the milk or water until he's done eating. (He can have all the water he wants later though).

When he's at home I keep healthy food available to him at all times. If it's sitting out, he'll eat it. I'm actually trying bento style lunches with the hope that he'll actually eat at school. It's his first year with a full day of school, and last year he was too distracted half the time to eat his school snack :roll: . I hope to get a few more ideas myself.
Toby

Postby gfbentomom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 am

Hi Toby,
I hope that the bentos go well for you. As encouragement to you, my Japanese friends think I go too far in making nice lunches for Ds, but I always tell them that he eats up nearly every bite of it everyday so that makes it worth my effort-he's an avid talker so before we got the bento routine down, many lunches would go half eaten or mostly skipped.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby stephljones » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:27 am

Toby...sounds like you have some great ideas to pack in those calories!

Something else to try: Fried foods...they get the protein and nutrition, but with an extra caloric punch... for us chicken nuggets were always our friend!

Today's lunch: cheese, edamame (with salt and butter) cherry tomatoes and lamb stew with potatoes.

So far, her feedback has been very positive...she loves the bento style! And says everything has been delicious so far!
stephljones

Postby RyeBlossom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:54 pm

Thank you so much to all of you who posted!
My youngest is 1.5 YO and needs to gain weight. He's been off the charts for few months now :( . His brother hardly eats too, but grows well, so it doesn't bother me as much.

Social pressure (= eating in a group) doesn't make them eat any more. The think it's funny to have a star-shaped cheese and the like, but don't actually eat it, and the same goes with other things (I make hot meals every day in a variety of spices, textures and colors).

What are good guidelines for balancing food groups in order to gain weight? A high in fat diet was not good for the little one.
Do you know of any tried and true methods or foods that increase appetite?

I did notice that giving the older one chocolate milk with half and half instead of milk, helps him gain some weight.
I filled a cart with junk food, trying to get them to gain weight, but it didn't help- they didn't care for almost anything there. They do like ice cream, though.

Thanks a bunch (and I hope it's not a hijack!)
RyeBlossom

Postby stephljones » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:44 am

Hi Rye!

I know it is so hard to get those pounds on...especially for toddlers!

There is a product called Scandishake that works well for this age group. It is a high-calorie milkshake, and comes in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. It is a little expensive...you may want to see if your doctor can perscribe it, but, for 600 calories in 8oz...you really can't do better.

http://store.axcanscandipharm.com/home.php?cat=1

They also have a product called Scandical...it is a tasteless powder that you can sprinkle on foods to add calories.
stephljones

Postby Megs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 am

When we discussed specialty diets in school, for high calorie diets peanut butter always came up. You don't need very much for a high calorie high protien snack. It's easy to pack, too - consider bagels, flatbread, even crackers.
Making bentos for hubby since May 2008!
Flickr Page = http://www.flickr.com/photos/megswallace/
Personal Blog = http://www.megswallace.blogspot.com/
deviantArt = http://lostfallen-angel.deviantart.com/
Megs

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Megs wrote:When we discussed specialty diets in school, for high calorie diets peanut butter always came up. You don't need very much for a high calorie high protien snack. It's easy to pack, too - consider bagels, flatbread, even crackers.

Peanut butter is great stuff! For school (since our school is peanut free) I've also been looking into other nut butters and found soynut butter by I.M.Healthy in the organics isle. It is peanut/nut free, as well as cholesterol, dairy, and gluten free, and has about the same calories as peanut butter.

Dried fruits in general will have more calories by weight than fresh. If they can tolerate them, (my son couldn't until he got older) it's another way to cram more into each bite, and they are usually sweeter.
Toby

Postby RyeBlossom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks Steph!
I called the doctor and she said it'd be OK for him :)
He doesn't care for Pediasure, and I was looking for something that I can add to water.

Thanks a bunch! :)
RyeBlossom

Next

Return to Special Diets