Vegan friendly bento meals?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Vegan friendly bento meals?

Postby duzziebat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:05 am

I just got my first bento! I cant wait to start cooking for it. But I dont have a microwave at my new school so I cant re-heat leftovers like i used to. Anyone know any good recepies? (also I cant get japanese ingrediants too often)
duzziebat

Re: Vegan friendly bento meals?

Postby veganf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:14 am

I'd stick with sandwiches and fresh fruits & veggies personally. Quick & easy & healthy.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

• Website

Re: Vegan friendly bento meals?

Postby gfbentomom » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:15 am

I always liked bean salads. Here's one using cannelini beans or other white beans.

Drain and rinse a can of beans. In a skillet, heat some olive oil. Add finely chopped carrot, onion and red bell pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Saute until softened but not necessarily browned, they should have a little bite to them. Add minced garlic towards the end so that it softens but doesn't burn. Mix the veggies with the beans, adding more olive oil, salt and pepper and lemon juice to make a dressing of sorts. Add in fresh, chopped parsley. Can be made ahead, needs no refrigeration in the bento. Some kalamata olives are nice on the side, cucumbers, garlic bread, brownie bite....

Quinoa is also great for salads. Mix some cooked quinoa with corn, blackbeans, salsa, lime juice etc. for a mexican salad. Can be made ahead and keeps well too. Have some vegan cheese cubes on the side.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Return to Special Diets