Non japanese bento friendly meals.

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Non japanese bento friendly meals.

Postby mvibes » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Recently I have moved to a small town. Seriously small, asian, hispanic, ect ingrediants are EXTREMELY HARD to find here. I have to travel 2+ hours just to find a store and I cant do that very much.
Since I will be living here for the next couple of years (and since most of my bentos have been filled with japanese foods) I need bento friendly foods/recipes that dont need such ingrediants.
mvibes

Re: Non japanese bento friendly meals.

Postby mvibes » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:21 pm

I seriously appriciate anyone who helps me!!
mvibes

Postby Jeo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:22 am

To tell you the truth, I don't really think that if you fill your bento with only japanese food then it's an official bento. I know it's cheesy, but what counts is on the inside. I'm not a very good cook, and I'm still a greenhorn in the kitchen. I find whatever is easiest to put in my bento.

I usually just get microwaveable food. Popcorn chicken bites, chicken nuggets, miniature meatballs, noodles, etc. Also sandwiches, snack crackers, fruit, vegetables, and other fillings are great too. If your feeling a tad japanese-y, onigiri is the way to go and it's really cheap to make (since you've stated before that you've filled them with JP food then I need not explain ;) )

It's only limited to your imagination. Next time you're at the grocery store, take a quick walk down the freezer aisle. I'm sure you'll find something quick, easy, and delicious to fill your boxes.
Jeo

Postby myremi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 am

mvibes, Jeo is right. You don't have to go full Japanese style of cooking if you have difficulty getting the ingredients. On the flip side, living in Asia, I have problems getting ingredients that are common in the US or Europe! LOL!

What I do is mostly stock up on ingredients that aren't perishables like seasoning, herbs, nuts, some small grains like sesame seed and rice. The rest, I use whatever is at hand, especially when it comes to fresh vegetables and protein source.

If you're not comfortable with rice, you can use bread or whatever carb source. Just have to portion control it and it should be fine. Don't worry if the first couple of weeks, the bento set doesn't look too nice. The starting bit is always the hardest but after that period, it's easier to plan what to put in.
myremi

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:34 am

I pack maybe half western foods and half Japanese foods. Hot dogs, mini meatloaves, bunless cheeseburger patties, pasta dressed in olive oil and/or butter w/ham and green peas or pepperoni and broccoli and a side of parmesan cheese for sprinkling, chicken strips(homemade in our case), broccoli cheese rice with ham, chicken or hot dogs, chicken sausages and rice pilaf, leftover roasted chicken, etc...
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Return to Special Diets