No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Postby hippie_mama » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 am

Thanks for the wisdom, cajcaj! And welcome to the "club" Mommasith.
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby myremi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm slowly getting there. This pic was taken with raincoat effect. Haha!

Oct 08 : The last time I had the raincoat on in wintery Germany.
May 09 : Taken in wet wet Plymouth, UK.

Bentos starting mid Feb 09 and current tally is 13 kg down. Trying to get it to move further down is no mean feat.
myremi

Postby hippie_mama » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Wow, even with most of you covered, you look like a totally different person!

I haven't seen the numbers on the scale move at all lately, but my hubby (Verdilak) has had some health problems come up this week, and decided that he's going to lose some weight too. This will make it way easier on me; that's for sure! However, he's also decided that while it's hot, we're going to plan for much of our exercise time to take place at the pool (he's been meaning to give the kids more formal swimming lessons anyway)--so it looks like i'm going to have to squeeze all that junk in my trunk into a suit! :lol: Oh, if that's not motivation, i don't know what is!
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby myremi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Hahah! Thanks! It got a lot of responses on my Facebook.

And yeah, exercise helps a lot but it turned out that I need to do alot of exercises for longer duration. Else it's very very hard to lose weight.
myremi

Postby cajcaj » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Myremi - Congratulations on getting control and achieveing a healthier weight! I hope you feel as fantastic as you look, too! You are an inspiration to all of us. Do you have any tips or recipes to share with us on what you put in your Bentos?
cajcaj

Postby myremi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks cajcaj although that may not have been my intention though. >.< I wouldn't want to shoulder that kind of responsibility.

Just wanted to only share that it's possible to lose weight but takes a lot of effort.

Hmm...my bentos are now a bit less complicated i.e. less flowers and all. Plus, I've been lazy to take pictures and post it up.

My bentos are a mix of cooking. The only common theme is that I cut out carbs a lot. The other thing is that I eat salads + protein for breakfast. :) No carbs unless weekend.

I compare recipe books to get ideas or check out what's available online. It can be Japanese, Chinese, Western, etc. I do a bit of mix of everything. Here's the pic of it.

myremi

Postby cajcaj » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:11 am

myremi, thanks for the picture of your cookbooks. Looks like some good titles there. From your posts, and from Biggies also, it sounds like pretty much any kind of cuisine works in a Bento. What I like is the portion control. I think Bento-ing really helps keep me from over-eating.
cajcaj

Postby myremi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 am

Yeah, any cuisine works but there is a catch to it : knowing what to eat, even for bentos.

I took myself a month to read up on proper nutrition and dieting (the food intake, not the slimming definition) and doing some comparisons between the Chinese diet against the Western diet and other diets from other parts of the world. It took awhile to sort my thoughts out and I had to literally buy books because there was too much junk info online. I used the Chinese diet as I live with my Granny here in Malaysia and we tend to eat mostly Chinese style of dishes. I also know from habit that I wouldn't be able to eat without Chinese food for awhile so had to do some sort of makeover from the foods that I like but are too high in calories, fats, sugar, etc.

I think in the end, I settled for something similar to what Biggie posted about the Japanese Food Pyramid "The Spinning Top" i.e. more vegetables but less refined carbs. Hmm...and sorting it out, I settled on the following :

-Make sure that lunch is always in a 600 ml container
-2-3 servings of vegetables
-1 palmsize protein source (pork, chicken, fish, shrimp) or 1 egg
-carbs only during dinner (currently trying out a brown rice mix but going to go back to my old bean + rice mix). sometimes i have carbs for breakfast and lunch but it's very rare.
-no sugar, flour, bread, noodles unless made from complex carbs
-When checking recipes, choose something that is about 300-400 kcal for an entire meal. Don't go over.
-Reduce process food and sodas of any kind.
-Fruit portions are only for snacks, and even then, 1-1.5 serving.

That should be it, I think. But I also try to exercise 3x a week for 30 min. That helps a lot.
myremi

Postby cajcaj » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 am

This is really sound advice, especially keeping the carbs to complex ones. I have been successful in the past eating carbs (in appropriate portion sizes!) for all three meals, but I think they should be complex ones. I agree: no sugar! It contributes absolutely no nutritional value to the diet, and is often combined with unhealthy fats and other simple carbs like flour. It's about balance in the diet, isn't it. Lots of variety contributing lots of nutrients.
Bottom line, if we all followed what you and Biggie suggest, we're going to see some success as you both have shown us.
One other idea for the dieters out there: consider keeping a food diary. A good food diary should list everything you put in your mouth, including a stick of gum or a breath mint. It should have amounts/sizes/volumes listed, along with the calorie count of each item. You should not forget to list your beverages and the amount of water you drink every day. Also list any exercise you did during the day and the estimated amount of calories you burned.
There are several programs online for free where you can keep a food diary, or you can just keep it in a small notebook in your kitchen. But writing it down will make you aware of what you are eating and then you can see what is working and what isn't.
Is anybody keeping an actual food diary other than myself?
cajcaj

Postby myremi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:28 pm

I kept a food diary for about a month and then I stop. I knew it would be too much effort for me to sustain it so I just only did it for a few weeks to make sure that I knew how to handle my groceries and get used to cooking healthily.

The thing to remember is that a calorie is not always a calorie. Yes, the initial planninig is reduce your calorie. The food selection may be different rules though i.e. complex carbs, no carbs, more veggie portions than meat, etc. E.g. The 2-3 servings of veggie is not for an entire day, it's for each of the regular meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner).

The biggest challenge of losing weight was admitting that the food choices I made were wrong and that everything that I did in the past was wrong and that I have to leave like this for the rest of my life. It's a tough choice but there's not much that can be done. This is the hardest challenge in any weight loss program : being honest and making the huge effort to change. Once a person makes that decision, the rest of it (the planning, the counting of food, etc.) will be easier. Not necessarily smoother or faster but definitely easier on the mind. :)
myremi

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets