No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Postby StarsOfCASSiOPEiA » Thu May 28, 2009 3:24 am

Oh yup, you're totally right about the body shape. Kind of makes me think how Michael Phelps ate... what, 6000 calories a day? Relative intake to relative burning is really all that matters, then.
StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Postby myremi » Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 am

Looking at the Google results, he's taking 12,000 calories a day with high carbs and high fats during training and competition. He is ripped though and with intensive training for competitive swimming, he probably needs as much.
myremi

Postby hippie_mama » Thu May 28, 2009 9:17 am

I lost 3 lbs this week! Small victory, but i'll take it! :lol:
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby myremi » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 am

Oh well done! Totally excellent! :)
myremi

Postby Pirika » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

Hi I'm Pirika and I'm overweight!
Two years ago I lost 28lbs for my wedding. This past Christmas I got on a scale and saw that I was up 33lbs! ;_; I took a vacation in early April and I was able to loose 15lbs before that trip, but since then I've gained back 7lbs. I seem to have trouble staying motivated when I don't have a specific date in the near future to work for. :(
What's really crummy is that for the last 3 weeks I've been doing the diet and exercise thing (though not the ULTRA restrictive kind I did before the wedding) with no results! I don't want to eat oatmeal and salad every day!

Here's my daily food:
Breakfast - Oatmeal or Cheerios and a glass of skim milk.
Morning snack - a small handful of walnuts
Lunch - a Ziploc tupperware layered with pickled beets, avocado, green pepper, sugar snap peas and scallions.
Afternoon snack - half a Vanilla Yoplait with some Dark Cocoa powder and apple slices for dipping.
Dinner - Either 3oz of tuna and some edamame, or a bowl of brown rice with avocado and furikake, or an egg and tomato sandwich, or Chick Peas with tomato, olive oil, and zatar.
Exercise: a 30 min walk at lunch 2-3 days a week plus 40-50 min of DDR at night.

What I ate when I lost 28lbs:
Breakfast: Kashi Oatmeal with a spoonfull of peanut butter.
Lunch: a Lean Cuisine
Afternoon snack: and apple with cinnamon
Dinner: a really lame salad with no dressing. Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Onion.
Exercise: a 30 min walk at lunch 2-3 days a week plus 20-40 min on an elliptical machine.

Suggestions? Thanks everyone!
Pirika

Postby myremi » Thu May 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Maybe a combination of food and exercise.

DDR may not be enough of an all-round workout. It makes you sweat yes but it may not be burning fat. I'm guessing here since you say that no results.

As for food, it could also be that you may be eating too much and not exercising enough. You may have to recount your calories. If you don't exercise hard enough to warrant the food you take in, then you have to either cut down/replace the food that you take or increase your exercise routine. Don't go too low on your calorie count though. I think the limit is 1500 calories a day but I'm not sure. It really depends on your body weight, age, gender and fitness lifestyle.

Your 28lb lost dinner : Heh! I hate those kind of salads. So I opt for Chinese stir-fry veggie most of the time. There's only a few types of salad that I will eat. I find that I also need to add in a few bits of raisin and pepper (capsicum) just to help with making it a bit sweet.

The other thing is the carb tolerance level that is different from person to person. That could be the other thing.

For me, I just decided to just get some help with food planning from folks down at Precision Nutrition (http://www.precisionnutrition.com). It's still very much a self-discipline thing but there's strong support and better nutrition planning. I hate feeling like I'm eating nothing so I make sure that I eat something that is nutritious yet portion controlled. I still take the occasional cheat meal but it's very rare. It my exercise time that I need doing but until I lost more weight, it's going to have to be simple cardio for the moment.
myremi

Postby myremi » Sun May 31, 2009 6:10 pm

Morning ladies!

How are we doing today? :)
myremi

Postby hippie_mama » Sun May 31, 2009 9:32 pm

I had a rough weekend; i'll answer tomorrow LOL!
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby MommaSith » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 pm

I've just gotten back here after some computer issues (which are not all resolved yet, but I'm commandeering hubby's computer for a little bit :P ). I haven't had a chance to thoroughly read all the posts in this thread, but I am definitely in the "trying to lose weight" camp. Hubby is, too, so that's helpful since we can work together on it. He's spent a bunch of time researching different supplements and such, and Sunday we both started taking a combination of tea extract and pyrovate. It definitely helps with appetite control! Only side effect I've noticed is thirst, but since I have trouble remembering to drink enough water, anyway, I'll count that as a bonus :P

We may add a blueberry extract supplement as well, but we'll see how this does for a week or so first.

We bought the new "EA Active" game for the Wii, but it hasn't helped much since it's still in the bag :P
MommaSith

Postby cajcaj » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:31 pm

Ok, I have to chime in on this topic, and for several reasons.
1) I'm a family nurse practitioner with a looooong career in medicine. I have many years experience working with my patients who wish to lose weight. I've attended many medical conferences pertaining to weight loss, as well as the adverse health effects of overweight/obesity. I've been through the waxing and waning of medication use for weight loss as well as numerous diet fads that have come and gone over the years. I'm not an "expert" in the field, but I sure do have a ton of experience to offer you. Of course, my background is from a scientific/medical position, so I may sound too "clinical": I apologize in advance if it bugs you.
2) I'm a fellow overweight sufferer! I'm like Kirsty Alley and Oprah: I lose and gain weight in a very unhealthy fashion. From the sound of your posts, I think I'm probably much older than most of you, so I've been through the weight loss process more that you all probably have. (I can think of three specific times in my life where I've lost big chunks of weight: 60 - 90 pounds each time, yet here I am again, overweight!) You'd think since I know what I know about healthy lifestyles, and my experience over the years in health care, that I'd have it together and be eating healthier so that I'd be at my healthy weight. But no, I fall off the wagon and find it hard to get back on until it gets bad again. At least most of you are trying to get healthy before you see adverse health effects! Good for you!!

So. I'm going to give you my little "pearls" that I think are useful for you as you plan your weight loss strategy. They are:
A) Eat for nutrition, not for any other reason. Not for hunger, not for your emotions. Food is for nutrition. It should not be used for anything else. Think of it as gas for the car: it is the gas that keeps you going and keeps you living a healthy life. Repeat that over and over to yourself: "food is for nutrition."
Some diets teach you to eat when you are hungry. This ends up not working for overweight people because we can find ourselves hungry all the time. We have to learn to put the nutrition in ourselves that will benefit us the most.
Even more troublesome is eating from emotions: boredom, depression, comfort, to reward ourselves, etc. Food should not be used for this purpose. It is for nutrition only, remember?
B) Weight loss will only occur when your expenditure of calories is greater than your intake of calories. People hate to keep track of calories. That's why Weight Watchers has gone to the point system. But you will really see success if you track your intake of calories. I read one of the posts here that listed what the person eats every day and there were no amounts listed. Amounts are very important. Was it one cup of oatmeal or two? Was it six ounces of meat or three ounces? Did you eat ten cherries, or twenty five? (Just examples - not ment to be taken as personal critisism of anyone.) It makes a huge difference in your calorie intake when you get to adding up your intake vs. your expenditure at the end of the day. That's why athletes can consume such huge amounts of calories. You and I in our normal lives would have to exercise over 5 hours a day to work off our excess calories, or even more, since we don't have the muscle mass an athlete has.

OK. I've run out of space. And if you've read this far, you are really committed to changing your eating habits and losing weight. Good luck to all of you! I think Bento boxes are a fantastic way to eat nutritiously because you control what goes in the box and you can eat lots of variety to keep your diet interesting. That's one of the things I like best about Bento-ing. I get to have lots of "little tastes" of good food. I think we get more vegies by filling up those nooks and cranies with tomatoes or cucumber, carrots or pea pods.

Keep trying to reach your healthy weight, each and every one of you!
cajcaj

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets