No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Postby cajcaj » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:11 pm

myremi wrote:The biggest challenge of losing weight was admitting that the food choices I made were wrong and that everything that I did in the past was wrong and that I have to leave like this for the rest of my life. It's a tough choice but there's not much that can be done. This is the hardest challenge in any weight loss program : being honest and making the huge effort to change.

This is soooo true! I think this is a real key to successful weight loss.
cajcaj

Postby myremi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Well, I like how Oprah put it. It's not losing weight that isthe issue but looking at what is really bothering our minds. Hmm...I'll look for her links later tonite at home. Can't access her site from work.

On another note, cajcaj, I notice you didn't give a feedback on my view on "a calorie is not a calorie". :)
myremi

Postby myremi » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:13 am

Actually, cajcaj, since u're a nurse, can you help answer this question for me? If you don't know the answer it's ok.

One thing about reducing carbs that I've noticed was the fact that my skin started drying up and I can feel like little small pinpricks. When I eat more fat/carbs (even if it's just 1-2 tablespoon or 1-2 fishoil tablets), the feeling went away. Do you know what is causing this?

I suspected that it had something to do with the fat and carbs because the last time I ever felt these pinprick sensation was many years ago when I was undergoing ultrasound therapy to break up the fat around my waist and thighs. The moment that the pads (that they put on my body) was switch on, I can feel these pinpricks.
myremi

Postby Caldercup » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:23 am

myremi wrote:On another note, cajcaj, I notice you didn't give a feedback on my view on "a calorie is not a calorie". :)

My mom was a biochemist and always said that thermodynamics was pretty straightforward -- so she'd've said that a calorie is simply a calorie and "calories in must be less than calories out" to lose weight.

However,... she'd also insist that the NUTRITION of each calorie consumed is where you need to pay attention. Yes you can eat 1,000 calories that are totally devoid of nutrition and -- as long as you burn more than 1,000 calories per day -- you will still lose weight. But you won't be healthy and you'll start finding skin, hair, bone and muscle issues popping up and your general health will suffer if you aren't also taking in the proper foods your body needs to function.

It's important that we are eating healthfully as well as consciously: being aware of portions, nutritional value, vitamin and mineral intake, the "complexity" of our carbs, the pros/cons of our proteins, etc.

Eileen
Cooking for a Type 1 diabetic, gluten-free, teenage boy.
Thank goodness he thinks bento is fun!

See my ramblings at: http://www.thesublurbs.com
Caldercup

Postby cajcaj » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:40 am

I'll give it a try, myremi. I think you are on the right track in thinking it is from too little fat/carb in your diet. Balance is everything. When certain nutrients get too low in our system, it can affect our nerve endings just like you have experienced. Some people even get numbness, not just pinpricks. I'm not that much a fan of taking a bunch of nutritional supplements while dieting because I think we need to get our nutrients from our food. Food is a more efficient source of nutrition and our bodies metabolize it for our health more effectively than supplements. The other thing is, when some nutrients get too low, other nutrients can't do their jobs properly.
Off the top of my head, I know low magnesium has been discovered to cause a lot of nerve problems, but I'm sure it's not the only cause.
In medicine, we never like to see people on diets which exclude certain food groups completely because of exactly the kind of thing you are experiencing. In the past few years, diets like Adkins and Zone have been accepted in the medical community because the thought is they may help people get some unhealthy pounds off, but studies show people don't stick with these diets long enough to have serious consequences to their health. Occasionally they do, though. I had one patient who stuck with Adkins long enough to elevate her cholesterol almost 200 points above normal.
Bottom line for you is, you will still succeed in your weight loss if you put a touch more fat/carb into you diet. And it sounds like you figured that part out for yourself.
Is that helpful, or were you more looking for the exact pathology of what could be going on? :geek:
cajcaj

Postby cajcaj » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Eileen and myremi,
Sorry I didn't respond to that comment on calories - I meant to! But I got side-tracked. :oops:
Actually, I think you guys are exactly right and I'd agree with you 100%. Not all calories are created equally. The calories in can of Coke, or in a piece of birthday cake do not contain the same nutritional qualities that you'd see in meats, vegetables, or even more complex carbohydrate foods. I think that's why the medical community is so big on increasing our vegetables that we consume. Most of them are packed with nutrition for the amount of calorie (energy) they provide.
Calorie in/calorie out is the absolute naked truth of weight loss. It is what nobody wants to hear (because nobody wants to take the time and energy to track it) but it is the bottom line of weight loss. From a clinical perspective, we'd like to see everyone eat only calories that contain nutrition. We'd eliminate cane sugar from the planet, alcohol, soda, refined white flour, etc., if we could, because these items contain so little nutritional value for their high calorie count.
So I agree with you and your mom completely, Eileen. Weight loss will only happen when our expenditure of energy (calorie) exceeds the calories we take in so that our bodies are forced to burn fat. Calorie energy that is not used by our bodies is stored as fat. Once we are at maintenance, we make a different adjustment.
That's why I said in my previous post that we should think of food only for nutrition, not for celebrating (birthday cakes and special meals), depression (big tubs of Ben & Jerry's), boredom (endless bags of Cheetos in from of TV) etc., because that is when we find ourselves going for those empty calories. When we're depressed or bored we rarely go for a nice fresh bowl of broccoli, right?
I often tell my patients food is like fuel for the car. The wrong fuel or not enough fuel, and the car won't run. People are the same way. Too much of the wrong food, or not enough of the right food, and our bodies won't be as efficient as they should be. So we have to educate ourselves about the stuff we're putting in our mouths and make sure it contributes good nutritional content for the amount of calories it contains. (Who wants to spend an extra hour on the treadmill just to burn off a can of Coke?)
Ok. Sorry to monopolize the subject! I'll make myself quit now and lets hear what others have to say!!
cajcaj

Postby Kiana » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:47 pm

ha, yay so I checked on a professional scale u know the type at the doctors office and it says I lost 10 lbs. not much but its something right? and it makes my goal of 50lbs look more reasonable now. now I only have to lose 40 more and I'm happy!
Making bentos and lovin it!
Kiana

Postby myremi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Opps! Been away for a bit.

About the calorie in/calorie out, yes, I agree with that. The thing to remember is how the calorie out is accounted for. It's not easy as mentioned by cajcaj on the person who is on the Atkins diet. I was in those shoes before and now, using the info that I have today, I could see where I went wrong.

I still have my cheat meals though. :) Although I try to keep them to minimum. Having a big bowl of curry noodle soup yesterday for lunch and later on for dinner... well... Today, it's a no-carb day then. :)

Kiana, grats! :) I have a 40 kg goal which is over 80 lbs? So I know how it feels. :) Keep at it. :) And remember, the mirror results are worth it. :)
myremi

Postby MommaSith » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:27 am

*SQUEAL*!! I weighed myself last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. Well, since 7 June, so a little more than a couple. (I'm deliberately not weighing often, although I need to switch to a more regular schedule... every day is very bad for my obsessive side :P )
I lost 10 lbs! /happy dance
(I've got a loooooooooong way to go... but I wasn't expecting as much, and I am very happy :D :D :D )
MommaSith

Postby myremi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:58 am

Very nice ! :) Grats!

Now ladies, remember, the first 10 lbs is easy. If you don't see a fast drop during the next one, relax a bit. Maybe need to relook the diet or your exercise schedule.

I was stuck after 10 kg loss for about a month before it restarted again. :)
myremi

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets