No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Postby hippie_mama » Fri May 22, 2009 8:00 am

There are some references made to weight loss in other threads, but how about we share our misery in one place? :lol:

So i'll start:

Hi, my name is Michelle, and i am officially in my fat jeans. I know what i need to do--smaller portions, less carbs, more protein, and no more soda. But it helps to have others for support/accountability. Who else here is trying to lose a few pounds? Personally, it's the last 10 that crept up on me in the last month or two that is freaking me out, but i *want* to lose about 50. Wishful thinking maybe, but we all have dreams, yes? :P So share with me. :mrgreen:
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Re: No Official Weight-Loss Thread?

Postby Kiana » Fri May 22, 2009 9:16 am

Hi there, i'm kiana and im trying to lose anywhere from 50-60lbs basically all the weight i gained during both pregnancies :cry: :o :roll: so far i've lost 10lbs since i've started bento-ing (thank goodness) i just need to be a bit more active. in high school i was very athletic, i played soccer, volleyball, and softball. so really im trying to get back to my high school weight, thats when i was fit and in good shape. :| and i looked good in a dress and heels... :lol: i just want that again (dont we all?)
Making bentos and lovin it!
Kiana

Postby hippie_mama » Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 am

My extra weight came from child-bearing too; nature is so cruel not to let it come off as easy as it went on! :lol:

I finally lost 30 lbs of the extra 80 from baby #1 and baby #2 *just* before realizing i was pregnant with #3. It stayed off (i gained 10 lbs total that pregnancy, and the baby weighed 9 lbs 6 oz!) for almost four years, but it is now trying to sneak back on! So if i *really* wanted to get back to pre-baby days, i would have to lose 60 lbs right now...but to be honest, i'm not sure i really want my high school body back anyway! I would have to be really miserable to maintain that (it wasn't even easy when i had teenage metabolism) but i would be really happy to lose about 30 lbs and be in the 145 range, which was my weight immediately after my first child was born. Besides, i've lost a 30-lb chunk once before; i'm hopeful i can do that again, and then go from there. :lol:
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby Otoro » Sat May 23, 2009 12:04 am

Hi, my name is Sarah, and I have reached my overweight limit. Thanks to college, stressed eating, and I think my boyfriend is getting me fat. Since I started dating him he introduce me to eating more dairy product, bread, and chipotles... Not that it's a horrible thing, but I was once over 40 pounds lighter.
I know I should back on eating fast food, soda, and the evil chipotles, but the irresistible burrito bowls with the cilantro lime rice, steak, and guacamole... Oh my. This is why I'm over weight. :oops:
http://www.xanga.com/Otoro
Otoro

• Website

Postby myremi » Sun May 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi, I'm Wena. I'm seriously obese and it affected my high blood pressure so I ended up having to redo my entire diet.

I was about 2 months into my packed-lunch-from-home diet before I found out about bentos. Previously, I didn't take much pictures about my lunches until I started bentoing. I've only done bentos for about 2 weeks before I had to go on a business trip which disturbed my weight loss program.

I lost 9 kg in the first 2 months of packed lunches. Then was yo-yo-ing a bit for a month because trying to see if I could motivate myself without stepping on a scale. Bad idea. So I went back onto a scale every day in the morning before eating (best time to check weight). Drop another 2 kg from eating from bento containers which is helping a lot. Before bentoing, I was eating out of 800 ml containers and now reduced to 600 ml bento container.

I have another 37 kg to go. My goal is 1 kg loss per week which corresponds to about 2 lbs per week. Or thereabouts.

The one thing I learnt about this dieting business, was that I had to give up a lot of carbs and sugar just to lose weight. I still take them but mostly as complex carbs, fruits or vegetables. Anything that was in simple carbs, I had to drop or severely reduced the intake. Even complex carbs, I control the intake, especially brown rice.
myremi

Postby hippie_mama » Sun May 24, 2009 7:38 pm

That's awesome that packing your lunches is helping! My problem is that i never leave the house (too bad that's where i keep the food! haha) and i feel kind of silly "packing" a lunch that i'm going to eat in the next room.
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby myremi » Sun May 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Heh! I think it's ok to do pack lunches unless you want to resort to eating out of smaller plates. Containers are great for making sure one doesn't overeat.

Changing one's diet is not easy and it can be painful, literally physically. I tried to avoid having to cut out sugar and carbs but in the end, I didn't see any other way to actually drop the weight, even with exercising 3x a day.

Plus, with the high blood pressure, I couldn't take a lot of the stuff that is used to filled up bentos. I could occasionally do it but then I found out that it disturb my weight drop plan too much that I had to leave it out. A lot of the sweets, treats and off-the-shelf biscuits. Cheese I had to be very very careful because it's very difficult to find low-fat ones here in cube form. Potato and rice are very very tightly controlled.

I eat a lot of veggies and fruit everyday. I still eat meat but not in huge portions anymore. The most is probably about 1 palm or 1/2 palm per meal. I also eat mostly Chinese style cooking but sometimes, I cross-over with different styles of cooking.

Some books that helped me on my journey :

Healthy Living by Dr. Ray Strand
The Japan Diet
500 Low Sodium Recipes : You can also find some recipes at his webiste here : http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com
Last edited by Biggie on Mon May 25, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited Amazon links
myremi

Postby myremi » Sun May 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Oh hippie_mama, one other thing that I had to do was seriously cut down on the outside meals. And I had to turn to actually cooking some of the stuff that I really really want to eat. Not always successful but I'm getting there.
myremi

Postby hippie_mama » Mon May 25, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for the links; definitely going to check those out. :mrgreen:
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby Biggie » Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 pm

I've dropped about 12 pounds in the past couple of months by exercising (rowing machine), cutting out alcohol and high-calorie snacks like nuts, and tracking my calorie intake and exercise with a cool free application on the iPhone (Lose It!). I wasn't sure I'd be able to stick with the application for weight loss, but it's helped me learn what things I've been eating that are surprisingly high in calories and account for exercise/diet accurately without much effort on my part. Has been useful in changing my habits and breaking down the nutritional aspect of what I eat.

I'd like to lose another 15 pounds or so, but I'm already able to fit back into about half of my college clothes so I'm pretty happy at the moment. :D Two pounds a week is my goal to stay healthy.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Next

Return to Special Diets