Dairy-free diet

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Dairy-free diet

Postby Pangolin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 am

My brother has always been allergic to milk. When he was little there weren't as many options for substitutions, but now there are plenty. He used to drink soy milk when we were young, and once in a while mom would mix up our cereal bowls. YUCK!

To this day I can't stand the soymilk, but I've always been able to have dairy. I considered it a major concession to go from whole milk to 2%, because the husband thought whole milk was too "thick".

Brother says that cheese tastes like mold - he's right, but his taste buds have always been good at protecting him. In college he had a friend who insisted on trying to get him to eat pizza, which not only made him sick, but made him depressed as well. Cheeseless pizza is an option at some places around here, and most places would probably oblige if you asked.
Now he seems to get by with some soy milk and goat milk and goat cheese. (These might be worth trying if you really want to have cheese or milk.)

(One of the substitutions for milk mom used for him was Isomil, which, not only tastes gross to dairy drinkers, but does horribly nasty things when it is thrown-up on carpet :!: )
Pangolin

• Website

Postby atilem » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:17 am

I've discovered recently that dairy (mainly milk, yoghurt, cream and chocolate) set off my asthma. I have rice or oat milk on my cereal, have soy yoghurts and soy cream when I really need it, but I don't like it that much so don't have it too often!

Dairy-free chocolate is the one thing that I really have trouble finding, living in the UK in a small town it's really difficult to find things like that.
atilem

Postby killerkitty » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 am

Atilem, try dark chocolate! Like 95%, it's usually dairy-free...
killerkitty

Postby Fabiano » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:15 am

To atilem: Here's a link for a UK chocolate company that has dairy-free chocolate to order online. However, I found it difficult to determine which of their products are dairy free. Maybe you could give it a try - http://www.cocoaloco.co.uk/index.html
Fabiano

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Special Diets