Dairy-free diet

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Dairy-free diet

Postby Savannah&TarazMom » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:49 pm

Okay, so I am historically a huge milk lover. Nothing better than a ice cold glass of milk with some comfort food. In reent years, I have become wary of the hormones in milk, but not enough to really do anything about it. I have one daughter (5) that is sensitive to milk so she drinks primarily soymilk, although she tolarates nominal amounts of cheese, icecream, etc. just fine. My other daughter (3) is a milk lover as well...

So, to get to the point, I have been doing a lot of soul searching about vegitarianism - in particulary meat and dairy - mostly based on an article I read recently about the atrosicties in our dairy and meat industries. To put it bluntly, the article so disgusted me that I haven't been able to drink milk since.

So, what are your thoughts on the subject. Where do you draw your lines? Don't really know that I am going to make real changes, but maybe babysteps... TIA!
Savannah&TarazMom

Re: Dairy-free diet

Postby hippie_mama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Good luck with your diet changes! I haven't done it personally, but one of my best friends recently switched from milking her own cows to going completely dairy-free, because one of her kids has a severe allergy. The change was...extreme. But it's proof that it can be done, and from reading her blog it seems there are a lot of other people that do the same, so internet searches should help turn up lots of recipes. :D
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby time_on_fire » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:46 pm

A few years ago, I too did the soul-searching about where my food comes from. I no longer eat cow, pig, or chicken, and I raise my own chickens for eggs. I try to buy most of my cheese from local goat farmers - i've seen how they treat and love their animals.

If you consider transitioning this way, check out www.localharvest.org to see if you can find a local organic farmer who raises dairy cows or goats. In some cases, they will allow you to visit to see how the animals are treated.
time_on_fire

Postby veganf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:08 pm

I haven't eaten dairy for 16+ years. None of my children have even had it either. We try to get as much of our food locally and organic as possible, although that's hard to do in New England in the winter, and hard to pass up certain convenience foods with 4 young children.
I think you'll find it gets easier over time. You won't crave it as much and it will become second nature choosing recipes without the dairy.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

• Website

Postby Savannah&TarazMom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks for all of your responses. Right now, it is mostly a milk issue for me - but like I said, baby steps. Going to work to wean us off of milk and go from there. As a side note - my 3 year old deals with excema and we are going to be doing some allergy testing on her soon - I have read that dairy can be a culprit.
Savannah&TarazMom

Postby veganf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:35 pm

My guys like a combo of rice & almond milks best, with coconut milk in smoothies. I also add a little hemp milk too, though it's not their favourite. Almond Breeze chocolate is #1 in our house.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

• Website

Postby Libby » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:47 pm

My son is completely dairy free due to his severe allergies, but we do keep a few dairy products, such as cheese, around for my husband and me. Subbing for dairy in recipes has turned out to be not that difficult. I cook and bake with soymilk, which I add lemon juice to use for anything that calls for buttermilk. Tofutti makes some nice products, especially their "sour cream" and "cream cheeses," which are indistinguishable in recipes, but have a slightly different mouth feel when eating them straight. For recipes calling for cream, such as chocolate ganache, I usually use coconut milk. My son really loves the Silk brand soy yogurts, but I find the soy aftertaste off putting. (I've read some really positive reviews of the new coconut milk yogurts and ice creams, but haven't tried them myself.)

Good luck! Whatever your reason, going dairy free is a lot more practical than you may think.
http://www.allergickid.blogspot.com
Packing lunches for a Kindergartener allergic to shellfish, nuts, eggs, beef, lamb, and all dairy products.
Libby

• Website

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:52 am

Soy yogurt works well in place of buttermilk in recipes. You can thin it a bit with some "milk"-soy, almond etc. or water if needed.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby bayview » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:54 am

It can be done!

My son also has a severe dairy allergy, so he drinks soy milk (Soy Dream) and eats soy yogurt (Whole Soy). You'll find that soy milks vary wildly in taste, so keep trying until you find one you like. Other soy products have been hit and miss. There was a Tofutti brand "cheese" pizza that he rejected. He also did not care for the Tofutti brand soy cream "cheese." But there's a soy pudding that he loves (the brand escapes me, but it's got a panda on the packaging). Also, there's a brand of soy ice cream sandwiches called "Cutie" that is quite delicious -- even the non-soy eaters like them.
Making bento lunches for DS5, who is allergic to dairy, eggs, nuts, and fish.
bayview

Postby killerkitty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm lactose-intolerant, so I've been living without milk for ages. Personally I just substitute water for milk and use soy products for everything else. Due to everlasting "you-have-to-try-this-even-if-you-throw-up" as a kid I now have trouble eating any white-ish sauces or soups, which means that I hardly ever cook them and therefore don't need much to substitute.

There's also a big variety of lactose-free products out there, which taste really great. Then, again, I can't really compare to the original milk products. But lactose-free milk has been a great compromise between me and my milk-loving boyfriend.
killerkitty

Next

Return to Special Diets