Tofu Brownies [vegan]

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Tofu Brownies [vegan]

Postby hippie_mama » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm

My best friend has one child with a severe dairy allergy, so i make a batch of these each time we have a birthday party or playdate; the original recipe was on an ad in a magazine for a particular brand of tofu, but in the years i've used it, i have tweaked it past the point of recognition, so i no longer feel i need to give them credit. :P These won't fool your meat- and hydrogenated-oil-loving father-in-law, but they do make a nice dense cake-like dessert that's chocolaty but not too sweet.

Tofu Brownies

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce or bananas
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 pkg firm tofu
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
chopped walnuts (opt, for garnish)

1. Grease 8"x8" pan and preheat oven to 350.
2. Stir dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Beat wet ingredients until smooth.
4. Add dry mixture all at once. Mix until just moist.
5. Scrape into pan and sprinkle with nuts (optional).
6. Bake 22 minutes or until brownies pull away from pan.
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Re: Tofu Brownies [vegan]

Postby verdilak » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:10 pm

Take it from me, a guy who loves brownies, that these tofu brownies ROCK! I even prefer them over regular brownies (but not brownies with M&M's added to the mix).
RPGaming | For ALL your gaming Needs
RPGaming | Gamer Chicks and Geek Girls | Because All Women Need a Place to get their Geek on
verdilak

Postby veganf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:02 am

FYI they're not vegan if they contain honey. But you could sub agave nectar, brown rice syrup, sorghum syrup, maple syrup, etc.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

• Website

Postby veganf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 am

When your recipe says "1 pkg firm tofu" what kind/size of tofu do you mean? Asceptic packed? Water-packed? There are many kinds and I'd like to give your recipe a try (with a few changes).
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

• Website

Postby hippie_mama » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:19 am

veganf wrote:FYI they're not vegan if they contain honey. But you could sub agave nectar, brown rice syrup, sorghum syrup, maple syrup, etc.

I honestly didn't know that, but i guess honey is a product of bees just as much as milk is processed by a cow. The original recipe just called for 3/4 cup sugar; the honey was an addition i made.

veganf wrote:When your recipe says "1 pkg firm tofu" what kind/size of tofu do you mean? Asceptic packed? Water-packed? There are many kinds and I'd like to give your recipe a try (with a few changes).

I think what i buy is water-packed, because it needs to be drained first. The size? I don't know; whatever's "regular," i suppose. The stores i go to only have one or two brands of the same basic thing, and they only vary in size by an oz or two. I'll try to take notes the next time i make it so my instructions are more specific. These are all things i've never thought about. :oops:
RPGaming
hippie_mama

• Website

Postby veganf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 pm

If there's only one kind it's probably the water-packed variety...in which case, that's a lot of tofu for brownies! Wow! I'm intrigued...definitely have to try it for mother's day maybe :D .
veganf

• Website

Return to Special Diets