New diagnoses, New use for bento

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

New diagnoses, New use for bento

Postby chameleon089 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 am

For the last couple of months, I've been having abdominal pain and other digestive issues. Recently I've been diagnosed with IBS, and I'm struggling to figure out how to eat again. I'm changing from my normal gluten-free diet, to also dairy free, low fat, high soluble fiber, and small meals/snacks all day long. My hoard of bento containers has really been helping with portioning, so that I don't eat too much at one time and set my guts off. I like to use a 2 tier box for lunch, eat the larger container at lunch, and the smaller one in the afternoon. It seems to be working well so far, though I'm getting a little tired of everything tasting the same. :)
Next: figure out how to add flavor without adding fat!
chameleon089

Re: New diagnoses, New use for bento

Postby Pangolin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:03 am

There are lots of ways to flavor food. Try out a variety of spices and herbs (not all are necessarily "spicy" which can mak things worse!).

My Dad has has colitis for close to 30 years, and my brother has IBS. (I'm the lucky one with the near-iron guts!) Once you figure out what is okay to eat and what foods make you sick it isn't too hard to avoid the evil foods (unless you eat out a lot.).

A tip for the summer corn on the cob - Dad takes a knife and slices down the center of each of the rows. Then, he sucks out the contents of kernals, mostly avoiding eating the non-soluble fiber on the hulls of the kernals.

Fruit is a good thing to incorporate in your diet. You just have to find the best ones and right quantities for you.

Good luck with your new diet and feeling better!
Pangolin

• Website

Re: New diagnoses, New use for bento

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:24 am

I hear ya about everything starting to taste the same. I'm also GF/CF and many other things free. If you can do some fat, just not alot, then even a very little bit of bacon goes a long way to adding flavor, even half a crispy strip, crumbled on top of something or just a few chopped bits in the pan when you are sauteeing something or added to a soup as it is simmering. Different flavored oils are nice too-a very fruity olive oil or a roasted sesame oil, again, a little can go a long way if it is nicely flavored. Coconut oil is another. Herbs are a staple in my kitchen. Marinating meats really adds flavor even if it's just lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and a single herb. Grilling or roasting-getting that smoky or carmelized element helps add flavor when the dishes are simple. Maybe you can achieve a good balance if you stick with simple, naurally low-fat ingredients and then add in the flavorful fats in a quantity that works for you, then you have control and can get the most flavor milage for your fats. I'm wondering if this approach may work well if you build your daily meals and sustenance around simple lean meats and veg., avoiding processed or complex foods/dishes for the most part. If you're not having baked goods, fried things etc. daily then a little bacon, special oil etc. for flavor really isn't going too far is it? Control and balance. Just food for thought.

I almost forgot about mustard. I use a grainy, dijon or brown mustard for many things. Has alot of flavor-in a salad dressing with oil and vinegar, as a "sauce" on top of salmon when it's broiling-with wine, garlic and stock or "butter", as a pan sauce for a sauteed chicken breast-similar ingredients as the one for salmon.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Return to Special Diets