Who's Gluten-Free?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: Who's Gluten-Free?

Postby varenikje » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:19 pm

You obviously have a lot of experience in this eating non gluten thing! Did you know that Jimmy John's, a sandwich place, has an "unwich" that is made with a lettuce leaf? I have just loved those! They use iceberg lettuce, but I can see that using leaf lettuce of some sort would be more nutritionally sound and maybe hold the innards better. This conversation is making me hungry. :)
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby chameleon089 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:09 am

Hey! I just had to share this GF blog that I found - you may have already seen it, but if you haven't check it out! She's a really good writer, has great tips about the holidays, and all the recipes look amazing. I'm going to make the Flourless Chocolate Torte for Thanksgiving.

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/
chameleon089

Postby varenikje » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:57 am

Wow! You are right! This looks like a great site and I subscribed to the rss feed already! :D I can always use some inspiration along the lines of food.

At first I thought, it will be easy to eat non gluten. All you do is not eat gluten. No wheat flour and a couple of other things that I don't eat much anyway. Piff! Easy! But it didn't take long before I realized that this was quite a change! Maybe the biggest deal is not eating wheat bread. When my dad passed away, someone eulogized that he was probably in heaven somewhere eating a slice of sourdough bread! And now, I can really relate to that! Fortunately, I don't eat a lot of preprocessed foods anyway, so it isn't as big of a problem for me as for some (good-bye, Spaghettios! I didn't really know you all that well anyway! :lol: ) but sometimes it seems to be very difficult to get non-gluten stuff! Ever try to find non gluten canned soup? And sometimes I just get tired of plain foods. I want something breaded. The panko breaded shrimp (I think they are in the blog for Lunch in a Box) look wonderful! I wonder if I can come up with some kind of breading like that.

Thanks for the glutenfreegirl link. That looks like a good site/blog.
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:43 am

Healthy Choice Chicken and Rice soup is GF. Progresso is probably your best bet for mainstream soups, chicken corn chowder, broccoli potato cheese chowder, chicken and rice and probably a few more but I bypass veg. and bean soups because kiddo doesn't like them and they don't fit into my diet. None of Campbell's are GF. Progresso is by General Mills which is a company that discloses all gluten on the label(not all do). Hope this link to a list of various manufacturer's labeling policies helps. http://www.glutenfreeinsd.com/manufactu ... ents2.html
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby varenikje » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Yes, my local grocer carries Progresso soups and there are several in there that are non-gluten. Their label is fairly easy to read too, which makes it even better. :)

According to Campbells, Lipton Cup-A-Soup Tomato, Broccoli and Cheese, Hearty Harvest Vegetable, Chicken broth, Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom cup of soups are gluten free. Not the cans, but the Cup-A-Soup. The condensed soups by Campbells that are non-gluten are Italian Tomato with Basil and Oregano, Fiesta Tomato, Chicken with Rice, Chicken with White and Wild Rice. Campbells Healthy Request Soups (Condensed) that are non-gluten are Bean with Bacon and Chicken with Rice.

I recently checked out Campbell's web site, and these were some of their non-gluten offerings (according to the web site). Of course, there was a disclaimer about reading the labels each time you buy, just to make sure. :shock: There were others too, so if anyone is interested, I would check their website.
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby chameleon089 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm

I've been contemplating crushed rice or corn cereal as a breading. I think with an egg dip, then rolling the meat in crushed cornflakes, or corn/rice chex, you would probably end up with something similar to panko, just crunchier. And I'm sure there are GF batter recipes out there. I just haven't looked yet.
chameleon089

Postby varenikje » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:03 pm

To really get the breading to stick on, first roll your meat in non gluten flour, then the egg, then the crushed cereal. The flour holds things on better. There is a whole thread on this that is interesting...Look under special diets, gluten free breading ideas. Yum!
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:35 pm

varenikje, thanks for the update on the Campbell's soups.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby Megan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 pm

We are getting ready to start bentoing with our 7 yr old who will be entering school soon. We have been homeschooling the last 2 years but now are ready to put her into school. She did attend some school before we knew about her allergies and I always sent her snacks anyway because prepackaged and dyed foods are yucko!

I made myself a list the other night of ideas for her. She does not like beans or rice otherwise I think I could do a lot with that! I'm planning on getting her a Laptop Lunch box

Mac 'n' cheese with light sauce (Tinkyada and homemade sauce, we eat this a lot so it would be leftovers)
Pasta with light coating of pesto(Tinkyada and homemade sauce, we eat this a lot so it would be leftovers)
meatballs
boiled eggs
waffles cut in half to make a sandwich with nutella or nut butter (Van's gluten free)
tortilla chips and dip (bean dip, hummus, sour cream, etc)
quesadillas on corn tortillas
cracker "sandwiches" (sort of like homeade lunchables)
veggie booty
cut fruit and veggies (in season)
cheese sticks
salad and dressing
steamed veggies
unbreaded chicken nuggets with dip
dried fruit
nuts
sushi
Lara bars
muffins (sweet and savory)
soft pretzel sticks

The Bette Hagman books are so good and we really love all the recipes. I made pretzels for New Year's Eve snack with various dips and they were delicious!
Megan

Postby bettyboop » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 am

we are gfcf here. i post some of the things I make on my food blog. just starting to write up what we bento

http://settingofsilver.blogspot.com/
bettyboop

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets