Who's Gluten-Free?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: Who's Gluten-Free?

Postby gfbentomom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:29 pm

Welcome! My son will be a middle-schooler next year and we'll still be bentoing away. Do check the link that Ahorsesoul posted. I hope that you'll find it to be a good resource. The Celiac community is very supportive in my experience. I hope you'll feel the same.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby CheerfulChaos » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 am

I have 2 children that are gluten-free. Unfortunately, they are also dairy-free and soy free. My youngest is also deathly allergic to eggs, so GF sites are usually not exclusive enough for her food requirements. DH and I both love to cook, so we just try to find one new food item at a time that we can substitute ingredients for and still have it taste decent. :roll:
CheerfulChaos

Postby Sara » Mon May 11, 2009 10:24 am

I am not gluten-free, but my sister, mother, and nephew are all celiac. I'm going to have them all at my house for two weeks this summer, and am already planning how to pack them appropriate bentos for our various outings. A tip which may be of use to others - I found a gluten-free soy sauce in Whole Foods' Asian aisle (Organic Tamari, by San-J). The label says 'wheat free', which isn't quite the same, but it's made in a plant inspected by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization. So I'm thinking it's a safe food.
Sara

Postby gfbentomom » Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Welcome Sara.
We use that same soy sauce. It is safe for those who must be GF. Bentos are so helpful for those of us with dietary restrictions. If I have a bento with me I can just go and relax and not worry about the next meal. I take them everywhere and they helped alot when I was traveling oversees. That's a wonderful thing you are doing for your family members.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
gfbentomom

Postby chameleon089 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:16 am

I've just gone gluten free! The difference it's made in less than a week is amazing. It's funny how you don't realize how bad you've been feeling until you can get past it. I'm waking up before my alarm every morning now and I haven't done that in a couple of years. Now what do I do with all the stuff in the pantry and cupboard that is full of wheat? Find a starving friend that doesn't mind that some of it is open?
chameleon089

Postby gfbentomom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:46 am

chameleon089 wrote:It's funny how you don't realize how bad you've been feeling until you can get past it.

SO True! I'm glad you're feeling so much better!

chameleon089 wrote: Now what do I do with all the stuff in the pantry and cupboard that is full of wheat? Find a starving friend that doesn't mind that some of it is open?

If you haven't already, call the 800 numbers on the packages and ask about the products(assuming they don't already say "wheat" on them). Company websites are also helpful. You may be able to use more than you think. I wrote GF in black marker on the label after it had been verified(to be gluten-free) so that I knew I had checked that one. Wet stuff that's cross-contaminated like mayo(if in a jar) got tossed or I wrote CC(for cross-contaminated) on the label and that became the family's and I got a new jar for myself. Others. like pasta, flour, even if opened were given out to friends. Unopened things can be taken to a food pantry. Maybe you could take a box to church, work or some other group gathering and invite people to help themselves. If you don't want to explain, you could just say a friend moved. If you're like me and dipped your measuring spoons in mulitiple ingredients when baking then your baking spices, baking powder, sugar might be cross-contaminated. I had one spice that got me.

Good luck and best wishes for health on your new GF journey!
gfbentomom

Postby whoopseedaisee » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:05 am

My 3 year old son and I went gluten-free about 3 months ago and I'm just starting to also dive more into bentos now that he's started pre-school and has to take a snack with him each day and it would also help me at work each night. We started gf for his benefit after a co-worker suggested it to see if it would help him at all with his ASD symptoms. I started to do it with him so I wouldn't have to always have to prepare multiple dishes for each meal and, is it turns out, not only has it helped him immensely (it's almost like we have a different kid in the house), but I seem to be a bit intolerant myself because now every time I cheat & have something with gluten I end up feeling miserable!
I look forward to getting to know the folks around the forums & any tips & tricks y'all might have!
~Karen~
makejustaripple.blogspot.com
whoopseedaisee

Postby gfbentomom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 am

Hi Karen and Welcome,

It's amazing what an impact on the body such an innocent thing like gluten can have isn't it! I am glad that you are seeing such improvement. :)
gfbentomom

Postby Caldercup » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:55 pm

We are officially gluten-free as of Monday 7/29. We got the final diagnosis after all the testing and "pulled the trigger" on our kitchen this weekend. Everything is scrubbed and clean and ready to go. (My neighbors are dining on all of our gluten-containing pantry items as we speak!)

Eileen
Cooking for a Type 1 diabetic, gluten-free, teenage boy.
Thank goodness he thinks bento is fun!

See my ramblings at: http://www.thesublurbs.com
Caldercup

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Caldercup,

Welcome to the GF community. There's a big learning curve and adjustment at first but I promise it gets easier and is SO worth it! I was just reading your last post again. I too will be walking that fine line between interesting and wierd this year! I stressed a little over summer camp bentos this week. We'll see how it goes once school starts! 2 weeks to go for us!
gfbentomom

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets